Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good OBD-2 Code reader

Smokin 750HP - Member Mustang5L5's Avatar

Good OBD-2 Code reader

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    I want to pick up an OBD-II reader/scanner just to have for diagnostic purposed. Already got an OBD-I setup for my Mustang.

What do you guys recommend or use? Prefer under $100
    *Michael*

Smokin 300HP - Member bullitt5177's Avatar
    If you're looking to strictly read codes, Advance has a pretty good brand. For some reason, I can't think of the name, but it's the only one they sell. It's bright orange.
    -Scott

Smokin 750HP - Member badass98svt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, advanced had that orange one.

i bought one on Ebay a couple years ago and it works great. believe it was under $30 and it came with the book that lists all the codes and what-not.
    A reader is a reader, as far as i'm concerned.

Just do an Ebay search for "obd 2" or "obd II"
    1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
    C:\Documents and Settings\PJ & Becky\My Documents\My Pictures\COBRA\bacbrasigji6.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jetgirl View Post
    Who's Ed? I just voted to have his babys... Was that a mistake?

sct x cal for obd II cars works as its butlt in to the tuner...

4.6 N/A Monster in progress...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is there maybe a little bit more advanced one that displays what the code is on the screen? I think i remember using one like this a while back.

It's not for a Mustang...i want one for every car, so not looking for a tuner.

A cheap reader that spits out a number is nice...but i'll pay more for a few more bells and whistles. I just want it to be convienent.
    *Michael*

Smokin 750HP - Member badass98svt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whats the diff if it displays what the code is, or if you look it up in the little book? C'mon, yer not THAT lazy are ya, Mike? I KNOW your not, I've seen all the work you did to your mythical fox. LOL

Seriously though, this one looks perfect for ya.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-I...motiveQ5fTools

I bought this one like 5 years ago LOL
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-S...motiveQ5fTools
    1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
    C:\Documents and Settings\PJ & Becky\My Documents\My Pictures\COBRA\bacbrasigji6.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jetgirl View Post
    Who's Ed? I just voted to have his babys... Was that a mistake?

I think i'm going with this bad boy

http://www.autobarn.net/actron-obd-s...te=google_base

PJ..one thing about me and electronics. If i buy a peice of electronic equipment...the more complex it is and the more feature it has...the more I love it! If it's simple...i don't like it. I pass over BBQ grills because they don't have enough knobs and controls. I need complexity.

Gonna sleep on it, and look around. I like all the little features that one can do....which is important to me because I do ALL my own vehicle maintainence.
    Last edited by Mustang5L5; 03-25-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    *Michael*

Smokin 100HP - Member hurtin_monky's Avatar
    I use Car Codes Tri-Can i/f. It is PC based, covers everything imaginable, data logs, graphs has MFG specific test and codes, transmission , entertainment, and I believe abs, virtual dash board w/6 configurable guages , covers all modes. Only thing it won't do is re-program- I have diagnosed broken spark plugs - transmission shift errors, intermittent lean conditions , flaky tps sensor with it. A lot of them won't do mfg specific stuff......

More than a hundred bucks, it's like $240 but worth it...s/w is updated free every couple months. I have used his stuff since 1996.

check it out www.obd-2.com

I've kinda looked at this one too. Does OBD-2 as well as EEC-IV so i can use it on my Mustang and newer vehicles I have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvo0Llrw_60
    *Michael*

Smokin 300HP - Member bullitt5177's Avatar
    Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    Mike, Advance sells that orange one you posted as well. Go down with the part number and check their prices too. As for that Innova code reader, a lot of guys at work have them. I've used them quite a bit. I'm personally not a huge fan. It works, but that orange one has a lot more in the way of features. It has some live data, as well as code readout, etc. The Innova one is nice though because it displays all your checked readiness monitors at a quick glance. That way you know if the car is properly repaired, or you need to go for inspection or something. You can also access readiness monitors on the orange one, it's just through a menu instead of on the main screen. I've used both of those readers quite a bit, so if you need to know something, feel free to text me.
    -Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast