Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about possibly going from a Fox to an S197 GT

Thinking about possibly going from a Fox to an S197 GT

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    I suspect a lot of you are more familiar with the S197 cars than I am. I actually almost bought one new in 06 but after driving a friend's for probably 20 minutes I wasn't thrilled with the high beltline and used my down payment to buy an 85GT instead. Which was a very similar car to the 86 I had 22 years ago. I sold the 85 4-5 years ago when I picked up an 89 BMW 325is project. No sooner did I tear into that I dragged home my Capri and commenced into a 18 month complete teardown and rebuild. The BMW is a way better summer DD than the GT was on my 90/mile a day commute. Right now both the Capri and the BMW have some needs and I can't seem to get up the motivation to work on either one of them. I keep thinking life would be far simpler (and my family would appreciate seeing me more often) with just one car instead of two. And what keeps coming to mind is an S197 GT. From what I've been reading they seem to be pretty solid cars and with the new Mustang out they seem to finally be depreciating into the range where if I sold both cars I could probably buy one. I've been seeing cars with under 100k being sold for low teens and some over 100k for under 10 grand. I've read about the alternator failures, paint issues on aluminum hoods, and of course the pre 08 spark plug issues. I doubt I would buy anything but a stock car just to reduce the chances of getting something that's been thrashed to within an inch of it's life. It likely wouldn't stay that way though. Wheels/tires/springs/koni's cat-back and a shifter would probably make me happy. I would only be looking at manual trans cars. Anything else I should be aware of? If what i'm finding is accurate I should be able to get 25-26 MPG on regular gas on the highway with a fairly stock example? Which is important considering my commute. I still haven't decided if I'm really going to do this or not just looking for some input.
    Proud member of Four Eyed Pride and SmokinStangs Mustang Forums:
    SmokinStangs.com-- www.smokinstangs.com

I say go for it !!!! Don't get me wrong I love my fox but driving the S197 is awesome! There is so much more room and the ride is a lot better too....this thought has crossed my mine before but I just can't seem to part from my fox :-)

2007 Evolution Shelby Vert / 93 Cobra w/ Grey cloth / 83 GLX vert

----------------> "Smokin the Competition!"
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like a a S197 Mustang would be a "Win-Win" scenario for you and you family.
    I think you'll appreciate (and will get used to) the comfort and reliability offered

I drove my 07 GT500 down to Florida and back (from New England), and wouldn't hesitate doing it again.
    SmokinStangs.com......A Premiere Mustang Enthusiast Community-Based Forum.
    "Bringing Mustang Enthusiasts together like never seen before!"

SmokinStangs.com-- www.SmokinStangs.com

I would really like to jump in and do it but I have to fix the other two first before I could sell them. And then honestly I would be fine. I've just been kind of burned out on working on cars lately. Didn't help that I re-assembled and did a bunch of fab work on an FJ40 for someone over about the course of 7 months or so last year. Oddly enough the foxes i've had have always been dead reliable but the BMW always needs something. Of course it is a 25 year old car with about 250k miles too. And some of the stuff I've done on it that's been a pain I have gotten myself into knowingly. I work for a BMW parts company and I've done some prototype testing for Koni and last year we did a complete suspension bushing overhaul on it and covered it on our facebook page to promote Powerflex bushings. So it's a pretty hooked up car for what it is. Right now I've got a leaking trans input seal and a diff that needs pinion bearings. The Capri needs motor mounts, the timing cover is leaking (for like the 4th time), i've got a few bent wheels, and the rust around the sunroof has reared its ugly head again. All stuff I can get sorted out over the winter then I can see where I'm at. My wife is pushing for me to hold off another year or two until her car and my truck are paid for. Which of course wouldn't be a bad idea. By then I could probably get a later GT with the coyote motor for what I'm thinking of spending. Which is what I would be wanting if I got a 4.6 car I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken's 84RS View Post
    I would really like to jump in and do it but I have to fix the other two first before I could sell them. And then honestly I would be fine. I've just been kind of burned out on working on cars lately. Didn't help that I re-assembled and did a bunch of fab work on an FJ40 for someone over about the course of 7 months or so last year. Oddly enough the foxes i've had have always been dead reliable but the BMW always needs something. Of course it is a 25 year old car with about 250k miles too. And some of the stuff I've done on it that's been a pain I have gotten myself into knowingly. I work for a BMW parts company and I've done some prototype testing for Koni and last year we did a complete suspension bushing overhaul on it and covered it on our facebook page to promote Powerflex bushings. So it's a pretty hooked up car for what it is. Right now I've got a leaking trans input seal and a diff that needs pinion bearings. The Capri needs motor mounts, the timing cover is leaking (for like the 4th time), i've got a few bent wheels, and the rust around the sunroof has reared its ugly head again. All stuff I can get sorted out over the winter then I can see where I'm at. My wife is pushing for me to hold off another year or two until her car and my truck are paid for. Which of course wouldn't be a bad idea. By then I could probably get a later GT with the coyote motor for what I'm thinking of spending. Which is what I would be wanting if I got a 4.6 car I'm sure.
    Hey I just sold my 93 cobra, and now selling my 67 mustang... To get a new edge... Gotta change to enjoy the hobby. That's how I see it. I will always miss both body styles, but can always buy one again...

Yeah I'm probably going to do it. Walked by both of my cars in the garage today trying to fix my old beater plow truck out in the yard. They just don't really do it for me anymore. Yet I've been looking at parts for S197's and doing lots of head scratching....

I've started to look for a six cyl version on the real cheap, haven't found anything yet. Now will need to wait until after the holidays. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by glstangs View Post
    I've started to look for a six cyl version on the real cheap, haven't found anything yet. Now will need to wait until after the holidays. Good luck!!
    I have to sell my current stuff first so it's not like i'm in a rush. But I'm intrigued at the 11-on 6 cylinders too. I drive about 100 miles a day. Even though buying a 6 just seems wrong 30 MPG would be nice and they are good deal quicker than my fox is.

Smokin 1500HP - Member TorchRedSVT's Avatar
    save your pennies, buy an S550
    --- Ian ---
    2003 SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary Edition -- The Show Car
    1989 LX Vert -- The Cruiser - Sold But Never Forgotten
    2010 GMC Terrain -- The Daily

Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    Quote Originally Posted by TorchRedSVT View Post
    save your pennies, buy an S550
    I'm starting to think that way actually. Been crunching numbers and I can't do it this year anyhow. But once my wife's car is paid for and my truck is paid for it's a possibility. And I do have a friend at Ford (actually one of the designers who came up with the initial design for the S550) so I could do X plan on it if they are still doing that in a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast