Thread: 2000 GT No Start

2000 GT No Start

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    A buddy has bought a GT that was left for dead in somebody's yard for let's say 4 years. He bought it for short money and now we are going through it to make it road worthy. We ran out of time last night but I can't get it out of my head and really want to figure out why it isn't starting. Looking for some suggestions as I have done the usually test and internet searches.

Ok here is the deal, car cranks, fuel pump runs, jump pack on a new battery, new plugs, new fuel filter. When I get back to the car I will be verifying spark and fuel pressure. I sprayed brake clean in the TB and the car did not fire at all. While it is cranking black smoke puffs out of exhaust. Earlier today he pulled a plug and it still looked new. Are crank sensors on these cars common failures? If not are we dealing with ECU issues? Any ideas?

Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Check the air inlet path - you might even find a mouse nest somewhere, even in the plenum. Try cleaning the MAF sensor, but be very careful with it. Don't touch it, just use some of the cleaner made by CRC or even canned air from far enough away that you don't damage the sensor.
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

First test today was spark. That passed then it was fuel pressure while cranking. That passed too so we can pretty much rule out crank sensor. Car runs on starter fluid. At this point I am convinced it is injectors. I put my fingers on the injectors while cranking and get nothing. Power probe shows power with key on and shows some sort of puse while cranking. So I bought one injector from the parts store. Plugged it in and held it while cranking. It was clicking away so now I am very much leaning towards injectors. I did look over the intake path and gave the MAF a once over. Ill keep you informed...

Smokin 450HP - Member Resolution78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoupeVillain View Post
    First test today was spark. That passed then it was fuel pressure while cranking. That passed too so we can pretty much rule out crank sensor. Car runs on starter fluid. At this point I am convinced it is injectors. I put my fingers on the injectors while cranking and get nothing. Power probe shows power with key on and shows some sort of puse while cranking. So I bought one injector from the parts store. Plugged it in and held it while cranking. It was clicking away so now I am very much leaning towards injectors. I did look over the intake path and gave the MAF a once over. Ill keep you informed...
    im sure someone has some stock injectors kicking around they can hook you up with
    2012 Boss mustang, UPR c/a, JLT CAI,kooks long tubes flowmaster axle backs tuned by DEZ RACING billet grill LS spoiler 302s HOOD 1/4 window louvers track key446rwhp11.51@119MPH
    1994 Mustang (PROJECT) 347 stroker, 4 bolt main SVO block, windsor senior cast iron heads, Forged motor built and assembled by DEZ RACING, F1C PROCHARGER Full UPR suspension, smoothed front inner fenders, expecting 750 RWHP on pump gas

I was thinking that or buying the newer style uscar plug style. My buddy decided he wanted the new style. Good idea though thanks.

Injectors, clips, and coils came in! Just because I wanted to know what the true cause of the no start was I wanted to just put the injectors in with the old coils. We did that and still no start. It sounded like it wanted to start but no dice. So coils got put in and it fired right up. I still don't know if it was just the injectors or both the injectors and coils. I'm not about to take out the new injectors at this point. So it is what it is....

Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Sweet success! Good to hear!
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    Check the electrical resistance of each coil and see if any/all are different in value. With a no start it should be very obvious. Also look for cracks in the plastic and the material used to seal the top of each coil.

1995 SVT Cobra #182/4005, 229k miles, ported GT40s, E303, Roush stage 3 Induction, 297rwhp/295rwtq
    1996 SVT Mystic Cobra #1666/2000, 218k miles, cams, Todd Warren SRI, 353rwhp/315rwtq
    1993 LX 263k miles, 03 Cobra steering, 5-lug/4-wheel disc Cobra brakes, 8.8 rearend, T5 swapped, black interior converted, AJE/QA1 front suspension w/ MM coilovers