Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Mystic Cobra winter projects

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    Just kidding. I actually already have most of the MM stuff. But not the K-member, panhard or long tubes. Wanted to do the panhard and torque arm stuff, but I would have had to hack up my Borla exhaust so badly that I decided not to. I'll be doing the bumpsteer over the winter. Wish I had done it last winter while it was apart for the MM A-arms.

Can't wait to see yours next year!
    The bumpsteer install is very straightforward if you are using the tapered stud setup. The MM k-member requires the bolt-through setup which means that the spindles need to have their tie rod hole enlarged to 5/8" diameter. My spindles are at the machine shop having this done right now. If you keep an eye on the MM Deal of the Day promotion, you can get the bumpsteer kit for about $108 (bolt thru style) or $116 (tapered stud style). I ordered the bumpsteer gauge with it so you could just borrow mine for your install.

I am going to have to modify my Magnaflow exhaust for the panhard bar install though hopefully not too badly to where it would be described as butchered lol

1995 SVT Cobra #182/4005, 229k miles, ported GT40s, E303, Roush stage 3 Induction, 297rwhp/295rwtq
    1996 SVT Mystic Cobra #1666/2000, 218k miles, cams, Todd Warren SRI, 353rwhp/315rwtq
    1993 LX 263k miles, 03 Cobra steering, 5-lug/4-wheel disc Cobra brakes, 8.8 rearend, T5 swapped, black interior converted, AJE/QA1 front suspension w/ MM coilovers

Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobraman1024 View Post
    The bumpsteer install is very straightforward if you are using the tapered stud setup. The MM k-member requires the bolt-through setup which means that the spindles need to have their tie rod hole enlarged to 5/8" diameter. My spindles are at the machine shop having this done right now. If you keep an eye on the MM Deal of the Day promotion, you can get the bumpsteer kit for about $108 (bolt thru style) or $116 (tapered stud style). I ordered the bumpsteer gauge with it so you could just borrow mine for your install.

I am going to have to modify my Magnaflow exhaust for the panhard bar install though hopefully not too badly to where it would be described as butchered lol
    Yes, I have the tapered one on the way and got it for $116. Thank you for the offer of the bumpsteer gauge, as I was planning to try to wing it on that, or have a shop do the adjustment. Much appreciated!

With the Borla it definitely would have been a butcher job, not to mention a stainless steel butcher job! Plus I would instantly void the famous Borla "Million Mile Warranty". That would be just dumb, and would also surely change the sound of the Borla on my old 5.0, and I must admit I love that sound!
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

Ok so this habit of Maximum Motorsports designing their products to the point of extreme overkill has just hit the point of downright obnoxious with me. It has taken me two hours to stuff their barbed fittings into the supplied reinforced rubber hose that has a threaded layer over it to prevent hose expansion under pressure. I still have two more fittings left to install! After the fittings are pushed far enough into the hose to be properly installed, they want you to put hose clamps over the ends of the hoses where it butts up against the installed fittings.......with the fittings next to impossible to fit into the hoses, why would clamps even be necessary? These things are holding maybe 40-50psi of oil pressure, not the 750psi+ of a power steering system.

By the way, this rant is concerning the MM standard duty oil filter relocation kit for the 96-98 Cobra.
    Last edited by Cobraman1024; 11-14-2012 at 02:36 AM.

1995 SVT Cobra #182/4005, 229k miles, ported GT40s, E303, Roush stage 3 Induction, 297rwhp/295rwtq
    1996 SVT Mystic Cobra #1666/2000, 218k miles, cams, Todd Warren SRI, 353rwhp/315rwtq
    1993 LX 263k miles, 03 Cobra steering, 5-lug/4-wheel disc Cobra brakes, 8.8 rearend, T5 swapped, black interior converted, AJE/QA1 front suspension w/ MM coilovers

Hmmm... I've noticed their over-engineering and always felt good about it. It's one of the reasons that I pretty much follow the rule of "if it's a suspension or steering product and MM sells it, just buy it rather than cheaping it out somewhere else".

On the other hand, I've never had that kind of trouble with any of their products, so I guess I'm lucky. My experience has been that their parts just fit, go in easily and they work extremely well. I'm really into handling, so I'm thinking about getting the steering shaft they have for today's deal-of-the-day!
    Last edited by ToplessPony94; 11-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

I did pick up the Fox steering shaft with adapter for the 03/04 Cobra (sn95) rack for my 93 with the deal of the day last time it was up there.....a couple of weeks ago.

In a further attempt to delay my progress on the Mystic, the engine block adapter for the oil filter relocation setup is giving me trouble. The MM instructions state to install the fittings into the adapter then install the adapter to the engine......well that works for the 96-97 Cobra but the 98 Cobra has a slightly different oil cooler design which causes the fittings to interfere with adapter installation. My '96 Cobra just happens to have a 98 Cobra oil cooler installed by the previous owner I guess. Mike at MM is aware of the issue and has my pictures of the problem so they are working on a fix for me.
    It's not the first they've heard of the issue, maybe I'm the first to help out by sending pictures.
    In the mean time, my temporary fix is to install the adapter and then install the fittings afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    Hmmm... I've noticed their over-engineering and always felt good about it. It's one of the reasons that I pretty much follow the rule of "if it's a suspension or steering product and MM sells it, just buy it rather than cheaping it out somewhere else".

On the other hand, I've never had that kind of trouble with any of their products, so I guess I'm lucky. My experience has been that their parts just fit, go in easily and they work extremely well. I'm really into handling, so I'm thinking about getting the steering shaft they have for today's deal-of-the-day!
    I did verify with Mike at MM that the oil filter relocation kits are designed by the component manufacturer (not MM) to be strong enough to handle power steering type pressures. He also agreed that theoretically, the clamps that I mentioned earlier are not needed on the hose ends lol

I guess it helps that I'm the original owner of my pony. I know every little thing that's been done to it and that has saved me a few times!

Today's progress resulted in the completed install and testing of the oil filter relocation kit, install of the steering rack, and the first startup to check for exhaust leaks. The American Racing longtubes and x-pipe are much quieter than the oem manifolds and BBK o/r x-pipe.
    I've got an alignment scheduled for Monday at 8am since Friday and Saturday were booked solid for scheduling.
    Pending the results of the alignment, I've got the dyno-tune with Pete at Performance Dyno tentatively scheduled for Monday at 4:30pm.

Finally got the Mystic into a drive able condition today. Eyeballed the toe setting so that I move it around and DAMN, what a change in the feel of that car with the longtubes, IMRC deletes and electric waterpump!!
    Feels much better than before when the cables were loose causing an air "restriction".
    Now for the alignment and tuning on Monday.

Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    After three tries of trying to update this page with pictures, I'm just getting aggravated now.

Mezeire waterpump install, old pump:

New pump:

Oil filter relocation kit:

American Racing Headers longtube and x-pipe install, an oem shorty manifold. Notice the copper RTV and bolt installed in the bung ahead of the forward primary? That was a connection for the (now deleted) SAI system on the 96-98 Cobras.

Passenger side longtube:

Drivers side (before oil filter relocation install):

Maximum Motorsports coilovers, a-arms and Bilstein struts:

[IMG]http://carphotos4.cardomain.com/images/0016/39/48/16029384_large.jpg[.IMG]

Undercar pictures when I had a change to get this thing up on a lift at the Newport Naval base:

Last edited by Cobraman1024; 12-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast