Title reads: Ford Mustang enthusiasts compete in local rally

By BEA LEWIS
blewis@citizen.com

FORD MUSTANG owners from New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont and Nova Scotia participated in the 2012 SmokinStang Rally based at the Opechee Inn & Spa in Laconia Sept.7-9. BEA LEWIS/CITIZEN FORD MUSTANG owners from New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont and Nova Scotia participated in the 2012 SmokinStang Rally based at the Opechee Inn & Spa in Laconia Sept.7-9. BEA LEWIS/CITIZEN LACONIA – Ford Mustang enthusiasts from as far away as Nova Scotia converged on the Lakes Region Sept. 7-9 to participate in the 2012 SmokinStangs Rally.

Organizer Bob Pitard of Londonderry said this year’s event was unique in that participants were invited to compete in the Ultimate Street Mustang Challenge.

Late model Mustang owners competed in four events: a quarter mile sprint at New England Dragway in Epping; Autocross at New England Motor Speedway in Loudon; a three-lap event on the Magic Mile; and displaying their ride during Sunday’s car show.

Jonathan Roberts of Baltic, Conn., with his 2012 Boss 302 Mustang, claimed first place in the inaugural Challenge, completing the quarter mile drag race in 11.4 seconds at 124 mph. Roberts said the stock V8 engine puts out 446 horse power at the wheels.

Roberts who serves in the U.S. Navy aboard the Los Angeles-class fast-attack sub U.S.S. Pittsburgh, recounted that he’s had a long love affair with Fords.

“My first car when I turned 16 was a 1969 Ford Mustang in primer gray. I bought it myself,” he said.

While he conceded that he also owns a Dodge truck, he said all his other cars have been Fords.

He purchased the Boss last September flying to North Carolina to pick it up, explaining he was willing to make the trip after finding a dealership that hadn’t added $5,000 to the base price.

Full Story via The Citizen of Laconia / Citizen.com:
https://laconiacitizen.our-hometown....cal_rally.html