Thread: Cost to have seat upolstery replaced?

Cost to have seat upolstery replaced?

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    I bought new seat upolstery for my 89 GT and need a place to install them. One place in Southern Maine quoted $400!!! WTF!

Any recommended places to have this done? $400 seems crazy high.

If anyone knows of people who may do this on the side for cash and reasonable price let me know.

Blog Entries
    My wife and I recovered the rear seat of the T Top car last weekend. We stripped the stock seat covers off the back rest and bottom seat and then put the Corbeau black ones on..

There is a ton of those clips and staples that hold them on...probably took us 3-4 hours from start to finish..and that was only the rear!

I have never done front ones so not sure how difficult they are...I would check around but that price may be appropriate..

Columbia 978-683-2205 and Stitches 978-681-5051 In Lawrence, MA are the only ones I know off around here..you could give them a call and check..both have done work for friends of mine.
    Last edited by only5.0s; 06-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    1984 T Top Coupe-Coyote 5.0, 4R70W, Modified BBK Long Tubes, 3.73s

*Formerly only90s, but all the 90s are gone..

Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    We did this for Project Fallen Hero a couple of months ago. While George Martin could probably give a better answer, my advice would be if someone will do this for $400 - TAKE IT! It's a LOT of work and you need at least a couple of special tools. It took us two days to do the PFH seats, much of it requiring two people (or at least much easier with two). You have no idea how much work it is until you've done it.
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

No doubt I've already read about how much of a PITA the seats are to recover so definitely paying someone to do it. Didn't realize how much it would cost. I got the TMI vinyl seats for $330 so paying $400 to put them on is a crush to the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by only90s View Post
    Columbia 978-683-2205 and Stitches 978-681-5051 In Lawrence, MA are the only ones I know off around here..you could give them a call and check..both have done work for friends of mine.

I've never had upholstery work done, but Columbia has been around for DECADES. I've never heard anything but good comments about their work.
    Jim

---
    Black 10th Anniversary Cobra
    #353 of 10th Anniversary Cobras -- Born June 9, 2003.

Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time.

Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    If you do decide to try to tackle this on your own, the new mustang magazine, Fox Mustang Magazine has a great two part article (across issues 1 and 2 I think) that step-by-step details the replacement of front seat covers with a bunch of pictures.

I know that at least one of the special tools required, a hog ring pliers, can be bought at Harbor Freight.

1995 SVT Cobra #182/4005, 229k miles, ported GT40s, E303, Roush stage 3 Induction, 297rwhp/295rwtq
    1996 SVT Mystic Cobra #1666/2000, 218k miles, cams, Todd Warren SRI, 353rwhp/315rwtq
    1993 LX 263k miles, 03 Cobra steering, 5-lug/4-wheel disc Cobra brakes, 8.8 rearend, T5 swapped, black interior converted, AJE/QA1 front suspension w/ MM coilovers