Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Shelby 1000 - This machine is more than a 1000hp Super Snake

----------------> "Smokin the Competition!"
    Blog Entries

2012 Shelby 1000 - This machine is more than a 1000hp Super Snake

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    Reports on the new Shelby 1000 starts with a 2012 Shelby GT500 platform and the 5.4-liter V-8 gets stripped of the factory internals and gets new pistons, crankshaft and connecting rods to handle the rest of the goodies that get added.

The Shelby 1000 gets new heads, a larger supercharger and extra cooling capacity and then tuned to Shelby specifications. The factory suspension won’t handle all that horsepower, so it gets reworked with a solid driveshaft and a new nine-inch rear end.

Shelby also added bigger brakes to ensure that the car can stop from warp speeds. For anyone who interested in this limited production Shelby, orders will be taken once it’s unveiled next week. But come prepared to open up your wallet because a fully completed Shelby 1000 will have a sticker price in excess of $200,000 fully optioned. When the 1000 was conceived, Shelby wanted an easily driveable street-legal Mustang that would go 200 mph, without major visual modifications.

That car has been built. At $149,995 (plus the cost of a GT500), the 1000 is by no means cheap, but it’s a substantive, expensive build, and the Shelby folks will tailor the suspension, tires and alignment for road racing, drag racing or street use.

The limited-production Shelby 1000 made it's debut at the 2012 New York Auto Show on April 5th.

If you think the new Shelby 1000 is simply a boosted 1000-horse Super Snake, think again. While this understated Mustang, unveiled at the New York Auto Show in April, does begin life as a 2011/2012 Super Snake, this post-title Shelby has been totally re-engineered to handle the supercharged 5.4-liter V-8’s claimed 1000 bhp at 6450 rpm and 750 lb.-ft. of torque at 4500 rpm.

Shelby himself is responsible for the 1000, and he’s says he’s been much more involved with the development of this tractable 200-mph Mustang than with his company’s other recent creations. “When we had Carroll in Vegas to drive the 800-horse version of the Super Snake,” explains Shelby’s Gary Patterson, “we all expected to get a bunch of accolades and ‘attaboys’ after he finished driving the car. But even before the car had stopped rolling, Carroll was asking us when we’d have a 1000-horse Mustang.”

Rubber-burning powerslides and fast track action in Shelby's new 1000-horsepower Mustang. Read the full 2012 Shelby 1000 first drive review here: http://bit.ly/GTS5No

Eye Candy: 2012 Shelby 1000 Track Attack

Sources and additional info:
    Road & Track / Roadandtrack: http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...12-shelby-1000
    Torque News / Torquenews: http://www.torquenews.com/1084/shelb...os-shelby-1000

That's very cool, but if I'm dropping $200,000 on a MUSTANG, I

A)want it to look like a $200,000 car
    and

B)I don't want it to be easily mistaken for a run-of-the-mill GT500. It needs to look different -- much like the Supersnake looks different than the GT500.
    Jim

---
    Black 10th Anniversary Cobra
    #353 of 10th Anniversary Cobras -- Born June 9, 2003.

Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time.

Smokin 1500HP - Member TorchRedSVT's Avatar
    yup, sorry.....but for 200k+ I am buying a lambo, not a modified GT500

Shelby is really hurting themselves in the long run, have totally watered down their own brand.
    --- Ian ---
    2003 SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary Edition -- The Show Car
    1989 LX Vert -- The Cruiser - Sold But Never Forgotten
    2010 GMC Terrain -- The Daily

Isn't it already possible to build a 200+mph Mustang that puts down over 1000+rwhp for less than $150,000??

Yes.

Then why do we need to buy the Shelby GT1000? We can just buy a GT500 for $50,000, drop another $20k into it............and come back with a car that outperforms the GT1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraman1024 View Post
    Isn't it already possible to build a 200+mph Mustang that puts down over 1000+rwhp for less than $150,000??

Yes.

Then why do we need to buy the Shelby GT1000? We can just buy a GT500 for $50,000, drop another $20k into it............and come back with a car that outperforms the GT1000.
    Shhhhhh don't go telling everyone

Smokin 30HP - Member Rowdy2008GT500's Avatar
    Yeah, the first S 197 to go over 200 mph in the Texas Mile was done by Joshusa Lowthrop, owner of Autograf (204.482 mph) in March of 2009 in his KR1000 GT 500.

Quote Originally Posted by LILBLKSNAKE View Post
    Shhhhhh don't go telling everyone
    Well somebody has to remind Carroll, he's losing his memory in that ripe old age of his.

Smokin 1500HP - Member TorchRedSVT's Avatar
    yet another reason shelby american is becoming such a joke

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...rroll-shelby/1
    --- Ian ---
    2003 SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary Edition -- The Show Car
    1989 LX Vert -- The Cruiser - Sold But Never Forgotten
    2010 GMC Terrain -- The Daily

----------------> "Smokin the Competition!"
    Blog Entries
    I would image that there must be a market and/or buyers...otherwise I don't see a reason why a corporation such as Shelby American would bother with the offering, and that it boils down to the vehicles capabilities, as well as a bit of brand loyalty. I would also presume the mentality is that your still saving over the purchase of a high end exotic!?!?!

For that price point, I personally would be rolling in a "SMOKIN - Super Sonic" Ford GT!!
    2005 Ford GT Blue SmokinStangs.JPG

PS: I'm really not in love with the name of the car....Shelby 1000 sounds to generic to me

PS_2: Additionally....I still think the process is and has been a bit goofy, with regard to buying a fully built, new car....surrendering it over, and then removing parts to swap for others. Never mind shipping the vehicles and/or parts all over the place...incurring further additional expenses.
    SmokinStangs.com......A Premiere Mustang Enthusiast Community-Based Forum.
    "Bringing Mustang Enthusiasts together like never seen before!"

SmokinStangs.com-- www.SmokinStangs.com

Blog Entries
    Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    I have said this before....When you get over 100k the horse on my car better say Ferrari and Not Mustang...!!!!

I am sure there will be Enthusiasts out there that want it though.

I for one could certainly use 1000 horsepower I know that..!!!
    1984 T Top Coupe-Coyote 5.0, 4R70W, Modified BBK Long Tubes, 3.73s

*Formerly only90s, but all the 90s are gone..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast