Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: License plate light

  1. #1
    Smokin 500HP - Member chachee52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house for now
    Posts
    716

    License plate light

    Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    Ok, so the car didn't pass inspection because of the stupid license plate light. After taking volt meters to the old out, it looked like the socket wasn't getting the power, so I bought a new one. After a little fanagiling to get the old one out, and new one in. I plugged it in and ZIPPO, NADA, ZILCH!!!! Took the volt meter again and it's getting power and the light is good. I sanded down all the attachements to the bumper so there's a good ground, even sanded the new piece. Everything theoretically should work!!! What am I missing?
    Max GOT a trophy

  2. #2
    Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
    Ok, so the car didn't pass inspection because of the stupid license plate light. After taking volt meters to the old out, it looked like the socket wasn't getting the power, so I bought a new one. After a little fanagiling to get the old one out, and new one in. I plugged it in and ZIPPO, NADA, ZILCH!!!! Took the volt meter again and it's getting power and the light is good. I sanded down all the attachements to the bumper so there's a good ground, even sanded the new piece. Everything theoretically should work!!! What am I missing?
    Sorry, but I have to ask... does the bulb actually light if you aplly 12 volts to it directly? The bulb can show continuity without being good. Did you make sure that the bumper itself is actually properly grounded?
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

  3. #3
    Smokin 500HP - Member chachee52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house for now
    Posts
    716
    I did not apply direct current to the bulb. And I used the bumper as a ground for the volt meter and it worked so I assumed that it was grounded properly. I tried a couple of bulbs and none worked. So I guess it would be a very strange coincidence that all of them would be dead.
    Max GOT a trophy

  4. #4
    Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
    I did not apply direct current to the bulb. And I used the bumper as a ground for the volt meter and it worked so I assumed that it was grounded properly. I tried a couple of bulbs and none worked. So I guess it would be a very strange coincidence that all of them would be dead.
    I have to agree with you on the bulbs. Did you make sure that the outer jacket of the socket is actually ground? And that the bulbs are actually touching the contact at the bottom of the socket? (I know that's not easy to do.) If the bulbs can go in at more than one rotational position, try them both?
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

  5. #5
    Smokin 500HP - Member chachee52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house for now
    Posts
    716
    The socket is spring loaded so you push the bulb into the socket and the bottom goes in with it, so it has to touch it. I did not test that the side it a ground. How would I go about doing that?
    Max GOT a trophy

  6. #6
    Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
    The socket is spring loaded so you push the bulb into the socket and the bottom goes in with it, so it has to touch it. I did not test that the side it a ground. How would I go about doing that?
    See if you have ~0 ohms between the side of the socket and the bumper and test for 12v between the side and the center contact. Hard to believe it would be this, but I'm honestly running out of ideas. The word exorcism is coming to mind...
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

  7. #7
    Smokin 500HP - Member chachee52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house for now
    Posts
    716
    Ok, the only way the light goes on is if I touch a wire from a ground spot on the car to the side of the socket or side of the bulb. It doesn't turn on if I touch the gound anywhere else on the bracket.
    Max GOT a trophy

  8. #8
    Smokin 500HP - Member chachee52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house for now
    Posts
    716
    So after talking to my dad (who was an eletrician) and Rick about the issue it got a lot of head scratching and "that makes no sense!!!"
    Rick came up with something that he even said would not work, but By Golly (yup, I said By Golly) it worked!!!
    The socket was not tight enough on the bulb. Pinched it together and presto, it worked. Who would have thought?
    At least it works and I can go get it inspected now...... Quickly!!
    Thanks Bruce for trying to help!
    Max GOT a trophy

  9. #9
    Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
    So after talking to my dad (who was an eletrician) and Rick about the issue it got a lot of head scratching and "that makes no sense!!!"
    Rick came up with something that he even said would not work, but By Golly (yup, I said By Golly) it worked!!!
    The socket was not tight enough on the bulb. Pinched it together and presto, it worked. Who would have thought?
    At least it works and I can go get it inspected now...... Quickly!!
    Thanks Bruce for trying to help!
    You're welcome, Todd. FWIW, that would have been my next suggestion after your 4:56 post. And I would have said it probably won't work, too! (Really!)

    Glad you got it to work. At this point I think I'd try wrapping some aluminum foil around the base of the bulb to make it fit tighter as a potentially more permanent solution.
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

  10. #10
    Smokin 500HP - Member chachee52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house for now
    Posts
    716
    Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    You're welcome, Todd. FWIW, that would have been my next suggestion after your 4:56 post. And I would have said it probably won't work, too! (Really!)

    Glad you got it to work. At this point I think I'd try wrapping some aluminum foil around the base of the bulb to make it fit tighter as a potentially more permanent solution.
    Jsut as long as I can keep it working for about 15 min to pass inspection, I don't care. I've had the car for about 6 years and it's never worked!!! Why bother having one now.
    Max GOT a trophy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •