Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SmokinStang's Project: SMOKIN - a 1995 DECH Mustang (Features a Turbo Build)

Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar
    Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    Great, Bob! You know I love my 94. The only complaint is no f'in room under the hood compared to a Fox! And I usually have the bleeding knuckles to prove it!
    Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinStang View Post
    ...Currently this combo is around 280rwhp, w/ similar torque. I'm so used to Mustangs in the 550hp range, but admittedly have to say that this machine is a ton of fun.
    I think what you're seeing is what makes toying with lower horsepower cars so much fun -- you can row them through several gears before you get to speeds that are pushing the limits of whatever road you're on. But in a 400+ hp car, you can find those limits in second gear.

Some of the most fun driving I ever had was in my old Datsun. Less than 100hp, and the thing wouldn't break 90mph with a tailwind, so you could beat the piss out of it through ALL the gears and have a grand old time.
    Jim

---
    Black 10th Anniversary Cobra
    #353 of 10th Anniversary Cobras -- Born June 9, 2003.

Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time.

----------------> "Smokin the Competition!"
    Blog Entries

Project SMOKIN- Update: Turbo coming soon

SmokinStangs.com just recently picked up Two (2) New Site Sponsors (of which will be announced shortly)....both of which are contributing to project: SMOKIN-

A decission has been made to do a build that is tangible to the masses. As many of you know...SmokinStangs.com has a wide range of members with various performance levels, ranging from "Mild to Wild. I felt it would be ideal to do something right in the middle. We will be spotlighting the build and products applied for this here on the site.

The plan is to install/apply the NEW single turbo, upgrade the torque converter, upgrade fuel delivery, install supporting gauges, tune & dyno, and then hit the track. The 95 will continue on as a universal Street/Strip car.

We will report baseline information and new power levels achieved. We will push the stock 5.0L block as far as we can, safely...as this will ultimately determine our final boost levels and numbers.

Basically we want to primarily see what the base car can yield with the new found power adder & goodies. If you've been playing around with Mustangs for any length of time...then you'll already know generally know where the numbers are going to be.
    SmokinStangs.com......A Premiere Mustang Enthusiast Community-Based Forum.
    "Bringing Mustang Enthusiasts together like never seen before!"

SmokinStangs.com-- www.SmokinStangs.com

Blog Entries
    Excellent Project.

I cant wait to see the build and results.
    1984 T Top Coupe-Coyote 5.0, 4R70W, Modified BBK Long Tubes, 3.73s

*Formerly only90s, but all the 90s are gone..

Nice pickup Bob.....obviously I am a bit partial to the '94-95 cars. So you are going turbo on the existing motor? I can tell you from experience if you are taking this to a drag strip you will always want to go faster....always! lol To me, you have to have the foundation rock solid first and then go from there. What is the compression on the existing motor? Usually something for road racing will be at the higher end of the spectrum, which isn't ideal for a blower/turbo application.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Steve! I think for now...since I already have two other strong, built, blown cars, I'm going to set this one up for something within the limits of the stock block. I surely will flurt with the limit, and try to find the happy point. I would be perfectly happy with this particular car to come in around 400-450hp. 450 is the greedy reference figure, but 400hp would be just fine push come to shove. I know it is complicated to have a car for multiple duties...but that is this particular cars role for the time being. I'd really like to have a car that is capable at the drag strip, and more-so consistant, and also cabable of autocross duties.

I really would like to apply a turbo system that is basically tangible to the masses, not over the top, but by no means no slouch. Actually...after talking with you earlier today, I think the X275 series is a perfect fit.

I can tell you from experience if you are taking this to a drag strip you will always want to go faster....always!
    Fighting off this concept will be the toughest of all!!

Blog Entries
    Here's where I am at now.....

- Dynamic Racing Transmissions http://www.dynamicracingtrans.com/ out of Connecticut is building a new torque converter for the 95 as we speak. This will be mated with the AODE Transmission, and will correct stall issues resulting from the cars Cam swap.

- Full single 67mm Turbo kit from XS-Power is sitting in the box ready to go. Just waiting for a couple of ancillary items to arrive, as well as finalizing also installation.

- New Fuel Pump

- New 65lbs Fuel Injectors

- New MAF / Adjustable

- Replace head gaskets

- Autometer Gauges - Boost & Wideband (Air/Fuel)

- Raptor - NEW Version - Shift Lite

- Full Tune (verifying peak power & all shift points)

- Dyno Pre/Post

Blog Entries

It's Turbo Time!! Project SMOKIN- gets boosted

Running Build thread in the 4TH GENERATION / SN95 Section:
    http://www.smokinstangs.com/showthread.php/2767-It-s-Turbo-Time!!-Project-SMOKIN-gets-boosted

It's Turbo Time!!
    Project: SMOKIN- gets boosted

Blog Entries
    Been picking away at a couple of things....completed & installed:

- Air Lift Bags

- TRANSGO Shift / Re-programming Kit for AOD
    The goal is to get the transmission to hit harded & firmer...while improving performance & durability!!

Blog Entries
    Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    Next will be to:

- Install custom made Ratchet type shifter
    This will be interesting to do, as a decent amount of customizing will be required...but should prove to be very SMOKIN, once completed.

- I'm thinking of doing fuel rails & up-sizing some of the fuel lines, as I think it will assist with maintaining cooler fuel temps.

- Install the Snow Perfomance electronically delivered meth system

- Re-tune

Test changes at the track....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast