Thread: Wideband 02 Gauge Install Mustang

Blog Entries

Wideband 02 Gauge Install Mustang

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    So it took me longer than anticipated to install my new AEM Wideband UEGO 02 Gauge, but it was well worth it...

The gauge itself was a piece of cake to install...the 02 sensor in the exhaust caused me some problems. My suggestion is to have the 02 bung welded in the exhaust it will make your life much easier. I tried AEM's new no weld bung setup and it is no good in my opinion.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/no-wel...nt-3-inch-1175

AEM has this clamp on 02 bung that you simply drill a hole in the exhaust and wrap the pipe with this silly gasket and then place the clamp around the pipe and gasket and then the 02 installs in there-It lasted about 10 minutes before I blew the gasket under boost. So I will have the bung welded on soon. I only tried the AEM gimmick because I was trying to have my Fox ready for Saturday(Ed Day) to surprise a few people-you know who you are...as I was going to run my Fox down the 1320 for the first time.

Here are a few tips. I installed this in my 90 Fox.

-The Gauge was mounted on the pillar. I had an AFR gauge on the pillar when I bought the car but it was a narrow band one that only had pretty colors-told you nothing. So I removed that and replaced it with the AEM one.

-The AEM only has 2 wires that need to be connected...A ground to the chassis and a hot wire to a key on fuse. There are other wires for data logging etc, but that is above my skill level..!!

-The AEM then also has another wire harness that comes from the Wideband 02. I could not fit the wire harness through the firewall without drilling another hole in the firewall which I did not want to do. I was able to snake the 02 harness around the tranny and up into the interior through the Boot on the Shifter-then from the shifter under the dash up into the pillar gauge where it plugs in.

Here is the finished product.

--------re...my tune

Good news is my tune is fine-even with the added boost-I was concerned I may have been running lean with the extra 2psi I am seeing now. My AFR is on the rich side actually. I am in the high 10s at WOT until right before I hit my rev limiter at 6000and then I creep to 11.3.
    Last edited by only5.0s; 05-08-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    1984 T Top Coupe-Coyote 5.0, 4R70W, Modified BBK Long Tubes, 3.73s

*Formerly only90s, but all the 90s are gone..

Blog Entries
    Just got back from the new Lou's Custom Exhaust in Kingston, NH on 125...he welded my 02 bung for $20. No leaks and it looks much better than the gimmick I tried before.

Plus he is a Mustang----Fox guy..!!! I would recommend him!

----------------> "Smokin the Competition!"
    Blog Entries
    Nice job Mark!! A Wideband gauge is a great tool, offering piece of mind. Nice to see & hear that projects like this can be self installed by the layman!!

One a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the toughest...how would you rate an install of this nature?
    SmokinStangs.com......A Premiere Mustang Enthusiast Community-Based Forum.
    "Bringing Mustang Enthusiasts together like never seen before!"

SmokinStangs.com-- www.SmokinStangs.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinStang View Post
    Nice job Mark!! A Wideband gauge is a great tool, offering piece of mind. Nice to see & hear that projects like this can be self installed by the layman!!

One a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the toughest...how would you rate an install of this nature?
    I would rate this at a 3 only because it involves finding a way for the wideband wiring harness to enter the interior and that can be tricky. Plus it involves hard wiring to the vehicle and some people are not comfortable with that. Lastly, take my advice and have a qualified exhaust shop weld the 02 bung for you-unless you can weld yourself.

If anyone decides they want to do this and has questions, just shoot me a PM....or if it seems like too much work, call your friendly Performance Shop and they can install it in no time.

Gauges look cool on the pillar like that. Nice work.

Jibber (AKA. Kevin)
    2004 Screaming Yellow Cobra

Blog Entries
    Thank you Sir.

Smokin 1500HP - Member TorchRedSVT's Avatar
    that looks good dude...nice work.

I bet that's gotta be a much better feeling knowing what's happening under the hood.
    --- Ian ---
    2003 SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary Edition -- The Show Car
    1989 LX Vert -- The Cruiser - Sold But Never Forgotten
    2010 GMC Terrain -- The Daily

I have a digital wideband readout but I found that I don't have time to look at it. So off it will come and I will purchase something that gives me the abilty to datalog (http://www.dynojetwb2.com/).

BTW, nice install and I'm sure it will come in handy.
    1994 Yellow Mustang GT

839rwhp and 770rwtq SAE

Proud Member of:
    SmokinStangs.com-- www.smokinstangs.com

----------------> "Smokin the Competition!"
    Blog Entries
    I have a digital wideband readout but I found that I don't have time to look at it.
    Funny you should say that...I feel the same. My eye is trained enough to stay alert for the red light (in the rare event), indicating lean, thus the removal of the foot off the go pedal.

I love those quick indicator lights the best, especially the small green one I have also in the 92, which indicates that the Water Meth is spraying!! WOT>>>
    SmokinStangs.com......A Premiere Mustang Enthusiast Community-Based Forum.
    "Bringing Mustang Enthusiasts together like never seen before!"

SmokinStangs.com-- www.SmokinStangs.com

Blog Entries
    Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
    I have a digital wideband readout but I found that I don't have time to look at it. So off it will come and I will purchase something that gives me the abilty to datalog (http://www.dynojetwb2.com/).

BTW, nice install and I'm sure it will come in handy.

Thanks...

Even with my power level things happen quickly and I barely have time to look at it, so I just need to take a passenger for a blast occasionally and ask them to focus on the AFR Gauge...!!!!

When I lose this motor and build my "real" motor something like you are getting will def be part of my setup. I have been looking at the FAST setup because it comes with dual 02 wideband sensors to monitor both sides of the engine. See below:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/mt.htm
    Last edited by only5.0s; 05-17-2011 at 08:53 AM.