Thread: 1966 GT clutch issue

Smokin Member

1966 GT clutch issue

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. My 66 A Code GT's clutch does not fully return to it's normal position. It's like it has three spots to go. All the way up, even with the brake pedal, and fully to the floor. The pedal is completely dead "no resistance" from the normal up position (closest to the dash) down to the brake pedal. Then is grabs and works like normal. The equalizer bar spring, pedal spring, and all hardware are present and in good working order. I crawled under the car and it looks like the bushings on the equalizer bar are in need of replacement. The clutch operates with no issues but again does not return fully unless I pull it up with the top of my foot. Would new bushings help?

First question, how long has it been like this? What has changed? How old is the clutch setup? The equalizer bushings (although need to be replaced won't have much affect on your "Free Travel" concerns. Not sure exactly how much travel you should have (I'll look at mine later) but a worn out pressure plate (because it has spring fingers that weaken over time) may cause more free travel.

Smokin Member
    All good questions. I just bought the car so I really don't know how long it's been like this. When I test drove the car I didn't know that the pedal didn't go all the way up. I found that out two days later after finding a nice pothole! Everything works fine so maybe one of these days I'll get under her and pull off the inspection plate and have a look see at the clutch itself. Maybe a bit of driving is all she needs!

When you say you didn't notice it until you hit a pothole, what exactly changed? Could be as simple as the return spring detached from the Z-bar.
    The 65 and 66 also has an adjuster in the pedal contraption that allows you to set how high the travel goes up or down, but you still need to know if it's completely engaging or disengaging to start playing with that.
    1965 Mustang Coupe
    1965 Mustang Fastback
    1974 Ford Ranchero 500
    2003 Mustang GT Convertible
    2007 GT500

Smokin Member
    When I bought the car the clutch pedal only returned to make it even with the brake pedal. Made sense to me. After having it for a few days I hit a small pot hole and the pedal returned to a position 3 inches or so closer to the dashboard. It still does that from time to time, but not every time. I've checked the adjustments, the springs, the equalizer bar and all fittings. All is fine except that I can see that the equalizer bar bushings are getting a bit worn out. There is some freeplay there. The car shifts smooth and I have no issues. But this cannot be normal clutch pedal operation. I'm just wondering if either I'm nuts or if anyone else had has a similar issue.

I know for my '67 GT stock 4spd car my pedal is a couple inches higher than brake pedal. But for your 66 the perfect place to get your answer in sign up and ask here.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/
    GREAT site.

Smokin 75HP - Member RunninHorse's Avatar
    Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    My '65 had the same problem. It was a loooong time ago, but if I remember correctly it was a spring in the clutch linkage for me.
    I'm Rob. Working on my '93 Reef Blue coupe. Stock internal 302, 80mm MAF, 75mm TB, Victor 5.0, High Ports, 30# inj., B303, 1.6s, Tremec 3550-2, and 3.73s. Stock tune. Went 13.9 @ 109 on street tires.