Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Radio

Satellite Radio

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    School me on Satellite radio. Pretend I know almost nothing about it, because that would be pretty accurate.

I'm thinking of getting it -- I want a portable receiver that I can use in the car (preferably move it between cars) and at home/office. I don't want to spend a lot of money.

What service is better, Sirius or XM? Why?

How much does it cost?

What else do I need to know?
    Jim

---
    Black 10th Anniversary Cobra
    #353 of 10th Anniversary Cobras -- Born June 9, 2003.

Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time.

Smokin 1500HP - Member TorchRedSVT's Avatar
    well for starters...sirius and XM merged.......do a google search and see what ya get
    www.siriusxm.com

i believe the difference between the two are the sports packages. I have sirius in my jeep.
    --- Ian ---
    2003 SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary Edition -- The Show Car
    1989 LX Vert -- The Cruiser - Sold But Never Forgotten
    2010 GMC Terrain -- The Daily

Smokin 750HP - Member Mustang5L5's Avatar
    I had sirius. It's like $13-14/month...and worth it to me if you are in the car a lot. There are receivers that will move between car and home. I had a mount in my '03 that mounted the unit right next to the head unit and used an Aux input adapter to connect it. Sound quality is much better than the FM modulator setup they provide.

Their Cancellation policy BLOWS. They don't let you!! When i tried to cancel my subsciption, the first time they put me on hold for 15 minutes, the 2nd time they transfered me around to 4 different people before "disconnecting" me. The third time, i got passed around, finally got someone, they tried to convince me not to cancel, and then when they agreed, they said they needed to transfer me to another person. Sure as hell..they disconnected me.

I had to cancel the card

I'm not the only one

http://www.kirotv.com/money/25634897...=cmg_cntnt_rss

Here was my setup in my gt. You could undock the unit and bring it in house
    Last edited by Mustang5L5; 03-10-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    *Michael*

I've had Sirius for 6 years and love it, my device has a car dock and a home dock that's hooked into the Denon receiver no problem.
    Price wise it's not bad, they say it's 13/month but I just called and got them to do my radio, my wife's and my office one for $5/month each so it's definitely negotiable. I think Sirius is doing a 5 or 6 month free promotion if you want to try it, the radio's are free too if you ask nicely. If you don't like the answer you get from one customer service person, just call back a few minuts later and talk to someone else.
    www.siriusxm.com

All that said, talking to you like you know nothing, here's the deal with Satellite radio. It's amazing. I haven't listened to regular radio ever since I got it. I tried some Rock 101 a year or two ago and couldn't stand it. The music channels on satellite have no commercials and the DJ's are pretty decent. Talk wise you get all the sports you could ever stand to listen to, Howard Stern, NPR, 4 comedy channels with stand up, it's awesome.

Now what you might also consider, if you have a droid or iphone or blackberry, is there is a Sirius XM application now that is subsrciption based as well which might negate the need for you to buy a radio if you live and drive in decent 3g or 4g service areas.
    1965 Mustang Coupe
    1965 Mustang Fastback
    1974 Ford Ranchero 500
    2003 Mustang GT Convertible
    2007 GT500

Smokin 500HP - Member chachee52's Avatar
    I've had XM since the first year it came out. Ian is partially right, they did mearge, but they still operate seperately. He is also correct that it's mostly, but not totally the sports packages that are different. XM has all the MLB and NCAA and most of the NHL, where Sirius has NBA and NFL. Also XM has INDY and maybe NASCAR (but I think that Sirius does too). There are some minor differences in the music stations, but most are the same. Howard is on Sirius and Playboy channel is also on Sirius.
    I would recomend on with a remote because I find that it's easier to surf through the channels while driving rather than trying to do it on the head unit.
    I have one subscription than Jen and my sister has two all on my subscription. They are pretty easy to install now too. I have the original FM modulator that was awsome, it is now outlawed by the FCC because it was too powerful!!!! But don't need it anymore because I just plug it into the AUX jack.
    Max GOT a trophy

Am I right in assuming there are very limited selections of radios? It looks like for a portable unit to move between car and home, there's only a two. Is there a real performance difference in the more expensive radios?

How easy does the car adapter hardware go in -- I mean, can I move it between cars, or do I have to buy a mount for each vehicle?

What kind of output is supplied to connect it to my home audio system (Denon receiver)? Does it need yet another specialized dock? It's looking like I'm going to need one radio, at least two docks for home and office (which needs some sort of speaker setup) and anywhere from one to three car kits.... Seems to be getting expensive fast....

Any suggestions on how to best get the usage I want?
    Jim

---
    Black 10th Anniversary Cobra
    #353 of 10th Anniversary Cobras -- Born June 9, 2003.

Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT10th View Post
    Am I right in assuming there are very limited selections of radios? It looks like for a portable unit to move between car and home, there's only a two. Is there a real performance difference in the more expensive radios?

How easy does the car adapter hardware go in -- I mean, can I move it between cars, or do I have to buy a mount for each vehicle?

What kind of output is supplied to connect it to my home audio system (Denon receiver)? Does it need yet another specialized dock? It's looking like I'm going to need one radio, at least two docks for home and office (which needs some sort of speaker setup) and anywhere from one to three car kits.... Seems to be getting expensive fast....

Any suggestions on how to best get the usage I want?
    Your just too picky!!! HEHEHE
    Well, I just re-installed one of my older units in my car. They are not hard to do, but it's not something that you can take the antena out every time you switch cars so you will need to get seperate units. I have the Roady and the original Delphi (which I'm sure they don't make any more). I also have the home unit for the Delphi which hooks right up to any stereo with an aux jack. I don't know much about the portable units though to help you out though. I do know that I stream XM online, but it doesn't get all of the channels like the specific sport stations which sucks. At work I always wanted to listen to the Sox games but couldn't. But it gets most of the music stations.
    Max GOT a trophy

Jim, get one setup, see if you like it and expand it from there if you want.
    Audio hookups are easy, the car dock has either an FM broadcast you can use (88.5, 88.6 or whatever is open) or an antenna input. The home receiver dock that I have has the standard red/black av cable.
    1965 Mustang Coupe
    1965 Mustang Fastback
    1974 Ford Ranchero 500
    2003 Mustang GT Convertible
    2007 GT500

My Jeep came with a free 1 year subscription. I will definitely renew it, because it's fun to scan through all the different stuff during long car rides!! some days you just want to listen to hair-bands, and other days I need the Jesus channel to remind me that ED DAY will save the world!!

Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    Quote Originally Posted by LILBLKSNAKE View Post
    My Jeep came with a free 1 year subscription. I will definitely renew it, because it's fun to scan through all the different stuff during long car rides!! some days you just want to listen to hair-bands, and other days I need the Jesus channel to remind me that ED DAY will save the world!!
    Just wait till they bring back the ABBA station!!!! Not joking, they actually did that for a month a couple years ago!
    Max GOT a trophy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast