Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dismount rear seat belts

Smokin 1500HP - Member ToplessPony94's Avatar

Dismount rear seat belts

Explore Kenny Brown Performance today!!
    Ok, this is the DIY forum and in trying to do it myself. But I need a little help from my friends.

I have decided to ditch my white leather seats (in bad condition, especially the one that I've been taking my butt in and out of for the past 16+ years) with black Corbeau seats over the coming winter. In preparation for that, I'm installing a black carpeted rear seat delete now.

First picture: Behold my back seat or lack thereof! The worst part was trying to figure out how release a clip I couldn't get eyes on. After seeing the first one when it was released, the second one was a snap! Took me about 20 minutes to get it out by myself, the first half of which was figuring out how the first clip for the seat bottom worked and how to release it when I couldn't actually see it.

I think I have decided to leave the seatbelts in (sort of) but hidden. I don't want to get rid of them, both because under the rear seat delete is a great place to store them and because then I don't have to worry about holes in the floor. Plus I don't what looks like about a T200 Torx wrench that I would need to remove the lower part of the retractable belt (Grrrr....)

The problem is that I want to detach the top of the retractable part of the seat belts so I can hide them under the seat delete (I hope - don't know how big the reel is yet). I can't figure out how to get in there and do that so far (see last 2 pics). The drop top (it's a vert) seems to hide that area. I'm still researching how this stuff mounts, but if anyone knows how to get in there without removing the ragtop I'd really appreciate a hint.

Bruce (aka: "Stealth Fighter Pilot")
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

I think maybe I found my answer here: http://www.fordforums.com/f16/seat-b...cement-170843/

I'll try it and see what happens. Anyone know where I can get the B-I-G Torx size I'll need to detatch the belt from the floor pan?
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool radiator, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil,alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, bumpsteer, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB, all LED lights

Smokin 200HP - Member jmac72187's Avatar
    The torx was a T50 if I remember correctly. I have one I had to use multiple times dealing with everything in the Mach.
    2007 Mazda MX-5 PRHT GT
    2004 Mach One
    2000 GT

Smokin 750HP - Member badass98svt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yup, what john said. It's either a T45 or a T50. Sears sells thw bit. Most hardware stores stock it I'm sure.
    1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
    C:\Documents and Settings\PJ & Becky\My Documents\My Pictures\COBRA\bacbrasigji6.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jetgirl View Post
    Who's Ed? I just voted to have his babys... Was that a mistake?

Bruce, I have T-50 if you need to borrow it.
    2006 Vista Blue GT Deluxe,Manual,64W Wheels,Spoiler Delete,IUP- Produced Date-03/29/06
    MODS: JLT CAI,Sequential tail lights & pony corral,Hella 500 Driving lights,
    GMS strut brace and A-arm brace. Custom SCT Dyno Tuned by Pete.
    2004 Torch Red Convertible GT

Quote Originally Posted by jmac72187 View Post
    The torx was a T50 if I remember correctly. I have one I had to use multiple times dealing with everything in the Mach.
    Quote Originally Posted by badass98svt View Post
    Yup, what john said. It's either a T45 or a T50. Sears sells thw bit. Most hardware stores stock it I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by KARMAN View Post
    Bruce, I have T-50 if you need to borrow it.
    Thanks, guys! It's a T-50. I've never really used anything bigger than a T-30 before, so I really didn't know how they were numbered as they got bigger. I stopped at HD on the way home. They wanted $5 for one T-50 and $15 for a set all the way up to T-55 so I bought the set. I figure I'll need it anyway when I do the front seats.

BTW, does anyone know the secret to actually getting Corbeau to respond to email? Or is it just me they don't like?

One last question: does anyone know if I'm going to get myself in trouble if I remove the nut that's holding the fixed part of the rear seatbelts in place? They can be seen in the first pic in my original post with red tips on either side of the center tunnel.
    Last edited by ToplessPony94; 06-10-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Smokin 200HP - Member jmac72187's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    Thanks, guys! It's a T-50. I've never really used anything bigger than a T-30 before, so I really didn't know how they were numbered as they got bigger. I stopped at HD on the way home. They wanted $5 for one T-50 and $15 for a set all the way up to T-55 so I bought the set. I figure I'll need it anyway when I do the front seats.

BTW, does anyone know the secret to actually getting Corbeau to respond to email? Or is it just me they don't like?

One last question: does anyone know if I'm going to get myself in trouble if I remove the nut that's holding the fixed part of the rear seatbelts in place? They can be seen in the first pic in my original post with red tips on either side of the center tunnel.

I wouldn't remove them simply because I don't see a reason. They aren't going to interfere with anything and the weight is minimal.
    2007 Mazda MX-5 PRHT GT
    2004 Mach One
    2000 GT

Quote Originally Posted by jmac72187 View Post
    I wouldn't remove them simply because I don't see a reason. They aren't going to interfere with anything and the weight is minimal.
    Yeah, I figured about the same. I'm not doing this to save weight anyway, just as the cheapest way to get rid of the white back seat before putting in black front seats. I just thought that since it's obvious I have to remove the reel machanism, I might as well at least spend a few minutes thinking about finishing the job by removing the rest.

Thanks for the advice.

OK, getting those seat belts out is a b*tch with a vert. The top protection hangs down in the way. And on my car they've been there for 17 years, so the bolts were pretty well corroded. I got some of it apart last night, but Jay was kind enough to come over to help tonight. I'm just too big to get in there and still be able to see what I'm doing. In at least one case I was too big to be able to get both hands on the wrench. Anyway, Jay got them out, even the one on which I had partly stripped the torx head. It helps to be able to get closer to the job, as the photos below will attest.

(Remember: A vert only has half a trunk. Thats half of a Mustang trunk!)

Home of the SmokinStangs - Northeast Mustang Rally!
    It was actually kinda comfy in there hehehehee

2003 Pony Edition V6 auto. Mostly stock (for now!)

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast