PDA

View Full Version : Brake question...

KEEPER
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I just replaced all the rotors on my car...my brake pads were really good so I didn't replace those. I took the car out for a quick spin up the road and back (I was also testing out my new 93 octane SCT tune, so I was driving pretty hard and fast) as i was backing into the driveway I swore I saw smoke coming from under the hood on the drivers side. When i got out and opened the hood I couldn't see anything smoking....I reached down and felt my rotor and DAMN...a fraction of a second touching it with my finger and I can still feel the spot on my finger where it burned it. The drivers side caliper was replaced last year...I jacked the car up and tried turning the wheel...it turned easily...but it seemed the more I turned it the harder it was to turn...not really hard...but just didnt spin. So....

Should they be that hot?
what can I do to make sure they are ok?

Thanks in advance for your help guys...

:confused:

KEEPER
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I just went out and jacked the car up on both sides and spun the tires and they seem fine? I don't know....:blink:

Mustang5L5
04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
How easy were the pistons to push in on that side??

99-04 front calipers are notorious for seizing up. The pistons are made from a Phenolic compound which causes them seize up more than steel piston counterparts. The phenolic does transfer less heat to the piston though.

Pull the caliper off, and press the pistons in. If they are hard to push in, then you may have a seized caliper again.