PDA

View Full Version : Why are these products listed as "for offroad use only"?

SmokinStang
12-31-2011, 01:04 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_EdA8im42JtY/TbT45gRxlWI/AAAAAAAAAkc/Mlg7aMnOyCo/IMG_0721.jpg

I stumbled upon this answer from a manufacturer of several aftermarket products...and found it to be the most accurate answer on the web.

A: This statement is essentially what the "entire aftermarket / hotrod industry" bases its products on. We cannot possibly certify each and every one of these kits for "use on a public highway" as this would require extensive, expensive and prolonged testing as administered by the D.O.T. This, combined with the outrageous liabilities of "certification for street use", would more than quadruple the costs of the systems, along with delaying their availability for years, pending D.O.T. certification. We advise that you acknowledge this well known fact and use this product in accordance with these guidelines.

Sadly, when I was first started getting into modifying cars...I had honestly thought that products that carried this type of label/disclaimer....were illegal for street use and/or LITERALLY for actual "Off Road" use:doh:

http://carissued.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Ford-Raptor-off-road.jpg (http://carissued.com/offbeat-news/ford-raptor-for-those-who-take-their-trucks-seriously-off-road.html/attachment/ford-raptor-off-road)
Ford Raptor off road

I recall looking at numerous exhaust systems and reading this disclaimer, and actually...over looked the product as a result.

Michael Plummer
12-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Did not know that....thanks Bob.

LILBLKSNAKE
12-31-2011, 10:14 PM
so I can use my GTS headlight blackout covers again?? Great news!!

Cobraman1024
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
"off road use only" means that you can only use it on the race track.
When that disclaimer is used on exhaust systems, I think it is meant for the emissions certification that it must go through. Catless exhaust systems are not federally legal so they are for "off-road use only".
Grab a Ford Racing catalog and you'll see that almost every part in there is marked "for off road use only" or "not for use on pollution controlled vehicles"..........some of the stuff in there doesn't make any sense whatsoever that it has one of those tags but it's also why most of the Ford Racing stuff does not carry any type of warranty at all.

Cobraman1024
01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
so I can use my GTS headlight blackout covers again?? Great news!!

I think Rhode Island (maybe Mass also) actually has it written that it's against the law to use any sort of covering over the headlights or taillights. I think it has something do with there being a belief that there is a meaningful limitation in the amount of light that can pass through them at night so the state believes they are unsafe to use. We looked into using them for Nikki's Mustang and I actually found it somewhere that they are not legal in RI.

TorchRedSVT
01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
just like in MA it's illegal to alter the exhuast from the factory too ;)

LILBLKSNAKE
01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I think it has something do with there being a belief that there is a meaningful limitation in the amount of light that can pass through them at night .

can't see a thing at night :)