PDA

View Full Version : World of wheels 2011

taronis
11-06-2010, 06:17 PM
It may be early to ask as this event is scheduled for April 1-3, 2011 but, is anybody planning to go? Is the club planning on putting together another display? Just asking.

World of Wheels - Autorama 2011 Website: http://www.autorama.com/casi/
http://dailypostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/World-of-Wheels.jpg

LILBLKSNAKE
11-06-2010, 08:11 PM
WOW gets worse every year.

SVT10th
11-07-2010, 09:49 AM
I haven't heard anything official about a club display, but I'd be surprised if we don't do one. It's been pretty successful...

Michael Plummer
11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
WOW gets worse every year.
What exactly makes this show worse every year?

LILBLKSNAKE
11-07-2010, 02:47 PM
What exactly makes this show worse every year?

Not the actual show, just the occasional added stipulations.
I liked having our club display with 8 cars one year and then they cut it to four cars another year.
I understand that a club can get more than one display but one year they also said they could not guarantee the two displays would be near each other. That made it hard to compete for best club display, although I will say most instances they did line up clubs together.
Obviously I still go, every year, for the last 20 years or so, but it is not what it used to be.
Attendance is nothing near what it used to be. Not sure why, but I think part of the reason is because they keep pushing it back. When it was in January, most of us already had our cars away for 3 months and we were dying to have a mid-winter hooplah to break up the off-season, so the winter wouldn't seem so long.
I may be wrong, this my own opinion- If the WOW is in April, people are going to seriously reconsider and maybe not bother because they can go to a million car shows in a couple weeks anyway, and it might not be worth the effort to camp out at WOW for four days.
In January you get more TRUE show cars because those cars are trailered anyway. The closer you get to the regular season, the more daily drivers you're going to see and that displaces some of the vendor space and limits the space for more elaborate show cars.
I know everyone works very hard and puts their heart, soul, and income into every single vehicle out there, but WOW was always the best of the best, and obviously some of those cars never touch pavement, but it was nice to see that kind of detail and perfection.

TorchRedSVT
11-08-2010, 09:31 AM
for me WOW is a snooze fest because it's literally the same cars year after year after year. My motivation as a "MUST GO" show just isn't there like it has been in years past.

Michael Plummer
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I sent both posts from above to Ricky Finammore (He is the new guy in charge) of World of Wheels at Boston and I look forward to his reply and I will post it here once it comes in.

86ASCcoupe20
11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
for me WOW is a snooze fest because it's literally the same cars year after year after year. My motivation as a "MUST GO" show just isn't there like it has been in years past.

Its tough to go every year for that reason but I try to go every other year. You will see a lot of different cars that way. I felt there was a lot of very nice cars there this past year and worth the admission. Food wasnt bad either.

Chet-b
11-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Its tough to go every year for that reason but I try to go every other year. You will see a lot of different cars that way. I felt there was a lot of very nice cars there this past year and worth the admission. Food wasnt bad either.

I wish I had your money Stan....? This is the one problem i do have with the show. They charge $10 to $15 to park and then another $15 to $20 to get in the show to see alot of the same cars year after year and a couple of lame TV stars... To put it in perspective I paid $25 to get an ALL WEEK pass to SEMA.(obviously not counting Air fair) This show is over 1 million square feet besides all the activities at the show. The WOW show was alright last year but had alot of empty spaces....If it wasn't for Travis wanting to go every year i would probably skip it.... i guess i'm just spoiled...

LILBLKSNAKE
11-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Actually, does anyone know if it is true that you can only win twice and then you're not eligible????

Michael Plummer
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Actually, does anyone know if it is true that you can only win twice and then you're not eligible????

Not true. You can win as much as you like.

LILBLKSNAKE
11-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Maybe I'll make a whole ED DAY display??? hmmmmmmmm :)

SmokinStang
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Last year, I took a good look around, and felt from my POV there was a nice group of cars. A nice selection of Mustangs were present (Obviously.....my goto vehicle of choice), among many other rides.

After I did my initial pass through, I took my mental notes, and then did another.....more detailed, selective look around......and that's when the fun began. When I started to explore the fine details (to include the people/participants involved).....my eyes started to truly appreciate the event. For me knowing many entrants, proves to be positive as well.....as it also serves a chance for perhaps a yearly catch up.

Sure......it's not like when I was younger, when every Car, Motorcycle, Etc........"Were Fire Breathing Animals," basically all NITROUS monsters (yes...dating myself). In part......when your much younger, your also much more impressionable, so I think that is a factor......when comparing to shows long past. Present day....it takes much more to wet our appetite, as 500hp seems all so common place......well, almost.

For me it's nice to see the innovation side of the machines. DlorenG, as a notable had a crazy, crazy new paint, as well as some wild paint techniques. AfterFX, came in and rocked us with an Lamborghini LP640.......among many other exotics and sweet creations. I specifically recall some "Off the Charts" motorcycles in attendance. This may sound silly.....but they even had a Blue 2008 Saleen - Dan Gurney H281SC Signature Edition Mustang, which was for sale.....that was on display (up & down on a lift), and it was just great to explore that vehicle, and really give it a top to bottom look over. IMO....there can never be enough of the older, Muscle Cars either......so they always are a treat to me, pretty much like looking at art. I really could go on and on......and honestly I ran out of time, to fully see, explore, and discuss all that I intended to.

Maybe since I have been a participant in the past, I may have an additional appreciation for the WOW event, as I know first hand, really what it takes to participate & show a car at such a venue.

Perhaps a big difference with the WOW Event, opposed to a SEMA, is the absence of the manufacturers participation.

The facility on the other hands (Bayside Expo Center), was in shambles though. And it was a true shame to see the water dripping from the roof/ceiling all over these displays.:crying:

Maybe the WOW organization can offer a discount to SmokinStangs.com members, since we are......all said and done........devoted WOW - Boston attendees, that hope to see this event continue and ultimately thrive here in New England. Hint, Hint Michael P:thumbsup:

SmokinStang
11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Speaking of the Blue 2008 Saleen - Dan Gurney H281SC Signature Edition Mustang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSW4V5_JCuE

slammit06
11-09-2010, 02:44 AM
I haven't talked to Rick or Jim yet over whether or not the club will be putting something together, but as soon as I know what's going on I will let you all know.

Michael Plummer
11-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Talked to Ricky Finnamore and got your questions answered.

Q) I liked having our club display with 8 cars one year and then they cut it to four cars another year.
A) They found in most clubs that maybe 3-4 cars were presentable and the others weren't. If a car isn't worthy of being in a show then they don't want it. Examples: Car hit, not painted, not detailed or clean, basically a car that has no business being in a car show.

Q) I understand that a club can get more than one display but one year they also said they could not guarantee the two displays would be near each other. That made it hard to compete for best club display, although I will say most instances they did line up clubs together.
A) Very hard to put clubs or groups together. Some clubs like certain location on the floor and putting them all together isn't always possible.

Q) Obviously I still go, every year, for the last 20 years or so, but it is not what it used to be.
Attendance is nothing near what it used to be. Not sure why,
A) Economy is one and the past Director of the show just didn't care in the last few years.

Q) but I think part of the reason is because they keep pushing it back. When it was in January, most of us already had our cars away for 3 months and we were dying to have a mid-winter hooplah to break up the off-season, so the winter wouldn't seem so long.
I may be wrong, this my own opinion- If the WOW is in April, people are going to seriously reconsider and maybe not bother because they can go to a million car shows in a couple weeks anyway, and it might not be worth the effort to camp out at WOW for four days.
A) Travel for most of the top cars and NE locals did not like traveling to MA in January due to the cold weather and potential for snow. Many exhibiters and show contestants commented that they would rather see the show closer to spring due to the January show was to close to the Holidays. They thought it was a great way to kick off the Spring car show circuit.

Q) In January you get more TRUE show cars because those cars are trailered anyway. The closer you get to the regular season, the more daily drivers you're going to see and that displaces some of the vendor space and limits the space for more elaborate show cars.
I know everyone works very hard and puts their heart, soul, and income into every single vehicle out there, but WOW was always the best of the best, and obviously some of those cars never touch pavement, but it was nice to see that kind of detail and perfection.
A) In the Spring everyone has more time and money to work and spend on their cars. No more worries about snow, freezing cold and no more waiting months to try out that new car wax you bought at the show, part, baseball cap, etc.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

2011 World of Wheels has moved to a new venue. The new layout for spectators is very nice. (Can't comment on them just yet).

LILBLKSNAKE
11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
A) They found in most clubs that maybe 3-4 cars were presentable and the others weren't.
I found that to be the case in a few instances, and it's a very valid point. However, how do you tell a fellow club member that their car "isn't good enough" for the club display?

A) ...and the past Director of the show just didn't care in the last few years.
no comment!!!!

A) Travel for most of the top cars and NE locals did not like traveling to MA in January due to the cold weather and potential for snow. Many exhibiters and show contestants commented that they would rather see the show closer to spring due to the January show was to close to the Holidays. They thought it was a great way to kick off the Spring car show circuit.
I agree to some extent, I just liked breaking up the winter a bit.

A) In the Spring everyone has more time and money to work and spend on their cars.
I didn't agree with this, until the guy at work saw this post and said "that's because I (ED) don't have kids with Christmas lists". Obviously, the expense of having a family during the holidays cuts into your "car fund"

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

Let the new Director know that I will be covering the WOW for Motorhead Magazine, I'm hoping with a new venue and a new Director we can bring back the prestige and attendance the show used to generate!!

Michael Plummer
11-20-2010, 07:44 AM
World Of Wheels Boston, has lost money for a long time and if things don't turn around this year, this may be the last time we have a World Of Wheels here in Boston.

Michael Plummer
11-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Q) However, how do you tell a fellow club member that their car "isn't good enough" for the club display?
A) Some people know that their cars aren't show cars but it shouldn't stop them from supporting the members that do have nice cars that show well. My car isn't a show car. A few people on here have nice cars that show well.....Bob P, Topless Pony, jibber, slammit06 to name a few and I'm sure there are others. What WOW is trying to do this year is put on a show display with cars that show well, that are different, rare, unique, radical and have a sense of purpose (Charities).

Personally, I judged most of the cars in the NH car club and I found that the majority of them except 1 or 2 to be exactly what WOW is looking for from the local street circuit.

Michael Plummer
11-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Hence the reason Ricky Finnamore is looking at almost 75% of the cars that will be present at the 2011 World of Wheels. Ricky is requesting pics from show contestants before approving their application. Tough thing to do but I agree. I hate judging the same car 5 years in a row with no new mods.....its boring.

gilmar
11-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Thank you Mike for reseaching this and answering these questions. As co-ordinator of the NHMC display, it is appreciated. We feel that NHMC is a Mustang club that wants to show unity and we ask members (or sometimes beg!) to bring their cars, but are faced with the same challenges that WOW faces... we can only bring cars that people are willing to bring, kind of like a double edge sword.
We really appreciate you, and all that WOW has to offer, and hope this show will continue. Maybe sometime we can talk and you can guide us on what we should or should not do and bring. Again, we appreciate all you have done to assist us in the past, it was great that you hung out at our display for a period last year and all the recommendations and accolades you gave us!
Looking forward to another great show this spring!!

Michael Plummer
11-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Great comment Bob and I agree. This is what I'm looking for when I get a chance to walk around.

After I did my initial pass through, I took my mental notes, and then did another.....more detailed, selective look around......and that's when the fun began. When I started to explore the fine details (to include the people/participants involved).....my eyes started to truly appreciate the event. For me knowing many entrants, proves to be positive as well.....as it also serves a chance for perhaps a yearly catch up.

For me it's nice to see the innovation side of the machines. DlorenG, as a notable had a crazy, crazy new paint, as well as some wild paint techniques. AfterFX, came in and rocked us with an Lamborghini LP640.......among many other exotics and sweet creations. I specifically recall some "Off the Charts" motorcycles in attendance. This may sound silly.....but they even had a Blue 2008 Saleen - Dan Gurney H281SC Signature Edition Mustang, which was for sale.....that was on display (up & down on a lift), and it was just great to explore that vehicle, and really give it a top to bottom look over. IMO....there can never be enough of the older, Muscle Cars either......so they always are a treat to me, pretty much like looking at art. I really could go on and on......and honestly I ran out of time, to fully see, explore, and discuss all that I intended to.

Q) Perhaps a big difference with the WOW Event, opposed to a SEMA, is the absence of the manufacturers participation.
A) This isn't a show where manufacturers flock to. They tend to stick to PRI, SEMA and the big Auto Shows like Detroit Auto Show

Q) The facility on the other hands (Bayside Expo Center), was in shambles though. And it was a true shame to see the water dripping from the roof/ceiling all over these displays.:crying:
A) New venue for World of Wheels 2011: http://www.massconvention.com/bcec.html

Q) Maybe the WOW organization can offer a discount to SmokinStangs.com members, since we are......all said and done........devoted WOW - Boston attendees, that hope to see this event continue and ultimately thrive here in New England. Hint, Hint Michael P:thumbsup:
A) I'll ask.

Michael Plummer
11-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Thank you Mike for reseaching this and answering these questions. As co-ordinator of the NHMC display, it is appreciated. We feel that NHMC is a Mustang club that wants to show unity and we ask members (or sometimes beg!) to bring their cars, but are faced with the same challenges that WOW faces... we can only bring cars that people are willing to bring, kind of like a double edge sword.
We really appreciate you, and all that WOW has to offer, and hope this show will continue. Maybe sometime we can talk and you can guide us on what we should or should not do and bring. Again, we appreciate all you have done to assist us in the past, it was great that you hung out at our display for a period last year and all the recommendations and accolades you gave us!
Looking forward to another great show this spring!!

Jim,
Thanks for the kind words but the NH Mustang Club is what I think alot of other clubs should be aspiring to. NHMC puts on alot of good events, members conduct themselves in a courteous manner and everyone seems to love what the club is all about. You guys have a good eye on whats a nice car, so you don't need my input.

My recommendation is to work on the club display.

We like the following:
Have a theme for your display. The import clubs do this very well
Examples: Car wash, Mechanic garage, barbecue setting, etc.
Members should be in full club attire. We like it when everyone has on the same thing...... It shows UNITY.
A club banner is always nice.

gilmar
11-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Jim,
Thanks for the kind words but the NH Mustang Club is what I think alot of other clubs should be aspiring to. NHMC puts on alot of good events, members conduct themselves in a courteous manner and everyone seems to love what the club is all about. You guys have a good eye on whats a nice car, so you don't need my input.

My recommendation is to work on the club display.

We like the following:
Have a theme for your display. The import clubs do this very well
Examples: Car wash, Mechanic garage, barbecue setting, etc.
Members should be in full club attire. We like it when everyone has on the same thing...... It shows UNITY.
A club banner is always nice.

Thank you Mike! We will work on that. Appreciate your input and kind words also!
See you this spring!

390gtconv
11-20-2010, 09:53 AM
The pic request to get in isn't anything new. So how are cars "less desireable" getting in? No one looking at pic previews in past? I entered my '67 for 2008/09 and sent pics in.

gilmar
11-20-2010, 09:55 AM
The pic request to get in isn't anything new. So how are cars "less desireable" getting in? No one looking at pic previews in past? I entered my '67 for 2008/09 and sent pics in.

George, your car is prestine! Exactly what they want at the show... we need to work on our display and come up with a theme...

You thinking about it this year?!! :-)

ToplessPony94
11-20-2010, 10:50 AM
A few people on here have nice cars that show well.....Bob P, Topless Pony, jibber, slammit06 to name a few and I'm sure there are others.

??? :confused: ???

Mike, did you mean me, or is there another Topless Pony around? I have NEVER thought of my car as show worthy, and it certainly doesn't have pristine paint; it's the original 17 year old paint, except for the hood which is 16 years old. It feels really wierd to be mentioned in the same sentence as the other three, which are cars I always envy.

If you really meant my car, I'm flattered, but still puzzled. I try, but have never thought of my car in the same class as the others.

LILBLKSNAKE
11-20-2010, 03:55 PM
If you really meant my car, I'm flattered, but still puzzled. I try, but have never thought of my car in the same class as the others.

Bruce, that is one the best things about your car. You make a 17 year old car with original paint look incredible. It's a lot harder for the guys with older cars to make their cars "show worthy". It doesn't take much to just wax a brand new car, change the wheels and call it a show car. You can tell that you put the time into your car and it looks great!!!
That was always the best part of WOW. You could never even imagine the amount of time and work that went into some of the 60's muscle cars they used to have in there by the dozens.
I'm not even a fan of import cars, but those guys go all out with customization They have graphics in the paint, they have custom interiors, they make their own speaker enclosures.
That is WOW material. that is stuff that doesn't show up at "Cruise Night" and those things can't be easily duplicated.
WOW was always full of cars that some of us could only dream of.

hurtin_monky
11-20-2010, 04:14 PM
cars not worthy..................interesting.....

gilmar
11-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Bruce, that is one the best things about your car. You make a 17 year old car with original paint look incredible. It's a lot harder for the guys with older cars to make their cars "show worthy". It doesn't take much to just wax a brand new car, change the wheels and call it a show car. You can tell that you put the time into your car and it looks great!!!
That was always the best part of WOW. You could never even imagine the amount of time and work that went into some of the 60's muscle cars they used to have in there by the dozens.
I'm not even a fan of import cars, but those guys go all out with customization They have graphics in the paint, they have custom interiors, they make their own speaker enclosures.
That is WOW material. that is stuff that doesn't show up at "Cruise Night" and those things can't be easily duplicated.
WOW was always full of cars that some of us could only dream of.

Well put Ed. Now let's see your Cobra at World of Wheels this spring!

LILBLKSNAKE
11-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Well put Ed. Now let's see your Cobra at World of Wheels this spring!

You just might see it at the Motorhead Magazine display :)