PDA

View Full Version : Help with moisture control in storage area?

saleenstang88
11-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I dont have garage space so i bought a 12x20 car port/cover all shelter and this is ware my cars new home is. My problem is i notice there is alot more moisture inside the cover all and i would like to prevent it if possible? The cover all is on asphalt but not weather tight so is it even possible to prevent the moisture?

SVT10th
11-04-2010, 04:47 PM
No, not really. I have the same setup -- the interior of the carport, because it's not insulated, varies in temperature greatly. On sunny but cold winter days, the temp in my carport can easily get into the 50s or 60s.

A good car cover and some canisters of Damp-Rid inside the car are what I use. (along with "Shake Away" critter control to keep the wee beasties from nesting in my car or garage.)

Mustang5L5
11-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Same thing when I kept my car outdoors in the winter. No matter how weatherproof a cover is....it isn't. Almost better off leaving it uncovered.

SmokinStang
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
:goodpost:..........regarding a great topic.

Last thing people need is for rust to occur on their Stangs......while tucked away for winter storage. Moisture/Condensation is true problems!!
Many may think that putting a car away, ensures that the car is good to go.....but there are underlying potential issues awaiting. Rust & corrosion is one of them.

Additionally & unfortunately......this isn't strictly isolated to winter storage, as it also holds true for general storage, even daily indoor parking, at any given time.
I've seen weather tight structures build up condensation within a 24-hour period, just from rapid humidity level changes.

Dehumidifiersare one of your best defenses...........
(NOTE: They should be of good quality.....if not commercial in nature, as well as capable of supporting the square footage of the space)

I always leave a window slightly cracked open in any of my vehicles for this purpose.