PDA

View Full Version : 85 Capri 5.0 - Bought but now what

SmokinStang
06-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Where will it go from here. I picked this 85 Capri - 5.0 up recently, as it was to solid of a car to pass up. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point....but something told me to buy it. When I first got my license and was working a coop job while in my Senior year of high school......I used to work at a company called DEC - "Digital Equipment Corporation," and frequently (on nice weather days) early mornings a business man would roll in, and that Red 5.0 Capri would rumble between the brick, mill buildings......and I was completely sold, in love, and need to be have a Mustang, Capri, 5.0, 5.0L. Beyond the sound, I was also stunned with the looks of the foxbody. Note: His Capri did not have the bubble back.

760 761 762 763 764

Potentially......It may go to my son solely. Or it may go to him as shared type of ownership deal....until I feel he has justly taken it over....based on his respect level for it, as well as care of it. Last option....I have seen a Capri, VERY, VERY similar to this one across the board (year, color & all)....that has been tastefully modified and featured in MM&FF Mag, which was also an enticing possibility.

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/25524770/mmfp_0911_04_z+1985_mercury_capri+rear_view.jpg

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/25524887/mmfp_0911_06_z+1985_mercury_capri+nmra_true_street _event.jpg
Here's the link: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0911_1985_mercury_capri/photo_02.html

Capri's are coming around....and did start the party for the Foxbody Mustang....IMO. This Mercury Capri.....has stock Valve Covers that state "POWERED BY FORD" on them, and almost every part on it has a Ford P/N on it.

It is quite clean for an 85, and could clean up with little ease. It is VERY Stock also.....which was part of the attraction. Originally a California car, as CarFax confirms......stating that it was originally delivered to a dealer in CA, and spent it's first Eleven (11) years of it's life in the Anaheim area. Then it somehow made it's way to New England?!?!? 55K miles on the clock at this point. There was some confusion in mileage, but a little discovery proved all is valid.

It surprisingly (oddly - this actually caught me off guard) drives silky smooth. It is a 5-Speed. This is a carbureted 5.0L engine.......Stick Models for this year got the "MotorCraft / Holley" carburetor, (which is known to be trouble free, and less problematic), opposed to the carb used in the autos. The V8 seems to deliver the power smoothly and gratuitously. The mating of the power as it's transferred via the shifts to the transmission all the way threw the gearing....and ultimately to the road, is perfect. Like I said it literally caught me off guard for the better.

It rolls on 10-hole, 15" wheels. Suspension is a bit loose for my liking (or what I'm used to - compared to my 92 Vert, in performance mode), but makes total sense for stock form......as it seems to absorbs more of the roads imperfections as per designed. If I read correctly the majority of the suspension components are the same as what was used through out the 86-93 Mustang model years. (so kind of cutting edge for 1985, and you know it worked if used for so long).

YES....It does have the "bubbly back," of which I'm not very keen on....but it does seem to grow on me, the more time I spend with it. The front section (the head light area and front fascia)......Is quite cool looking.......and has some racing looking qualities. The vented hood, also provides you with the sensation of hey....this car has a little some, some!!

The dash area is a thrill of sorts, as it brings one back to "High School" days......you know the sensation you get during your first ride in a buddy's car, type of sensation. The Capri and early fox body GT's share the same type of look and feel.....again kind of modular, race inspired instrumentation assembly's, gauges, and stuff.

Sure there are imperfections and it's a bit weathered....but I think that is also working for the cars charm & character. It can only get better from here, and where it currently is....isn't that bad at all.:thumbsup:

SmokinStang
06-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Drivers side window still retains traces of California (LA to be exact).

Here's some additional pics:
766 767 768 769

SmokinStang
06-08-2010, 02:31 AM
And a couple more......
770 771 772 774

serviceman
06-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Good looking car, and a very lucky son hope he respects the car and realizes what he is getting.

only5.0s
06-08-2010, 07:17 AM
That is awesome. :thumbsup:

Scooter
06-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Very nice!

lxfiveo
06-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Very cool Bob....always loved those cars. My best friend in high school had one and always loved rolling in it. Was simply a bad ass car to be cruising in back then!!

Capriman86
06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
OMFG OMG OMFG! YES!! WANT IT! GIMME GIMMMMEEEEE!!!

Awesome find Bob! The car looks to be in great shape too!
Find yourself an ASC bubble back wing like I have on my car and it will breathe new wanted life into the bubble!

You know you want to be part of the Capri Cruise! Get her all cleaned up! YAY!

SVT10th
06-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Dude. That is awesome!
I love Capris. Several of my friends had 86's back when they were new. I almost bought an end-of-production one myself, but got the "new" 87 GT instead.

Gorgeous car. It for sure has a good home now.

MY-S281
06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Awesome find Bob!! You really have an awesome collection over there...!!

86ASCcoupe20
06-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I figured youd buy it when you asked me afew questions. Congrats. I came pretty close to buying it my self but obviously glad I waited. Find some 17 inch cobra Rs for that car and its looks will change quickly. Cant wait to get all of our Capris together. How old is the son?

TorchRedSVT
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Bob...that's awesome...congrats. Good looking ride!!

My advice ( not that it matters or you really care ) is keep the car as stock and original as possible only becuase stock fox car's are simply hard to find these days.

Look forward to seeing it around this summer and congrats again, your kid must be bustin at the seams to get out on some cruises with us!!

SmokinStang
06-09-2010, 01:14 PM
My son Josh is 19. I'm leaning towards all stock form for this Capri, as it pretty much all there, as is. Of course some refreshing of sorts will be in order.

Capriman86
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
All stock is very nice, get that paint gleeming, freshen up the grey and it will look like a new car.

This is my friend John's and myself. The red just POPS if its all clean!

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll157/capriman86carpics2/lxfiveo%20and%20capriman86/DSCN0822.jpg

The92Foxbody
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
All stock is nice, I originally was leaning towards doing my car all stock, but then decided to just make it unique. The capri's look nice, as I love all the foxbody generation, but I think some nice wheels would change the appearance for the best on the Capri. Awesome find on this one Bob, as the car is in pretty incredible shape for its time. I hope your son has alot of fun with this car.

Chet-b
06-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Congrats bob.. i really like the checker'd floor. i can see a Capri cruise in your future?? really nice car Stock though?? Maybe suspention, wheels, something.....

SVT10th
06-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Bob, I agree with Ian -- keep it all stock looking. Of course, changing things that aren't outwardly visible is fair game

86ASCcoupe20
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Ive seen the car. It has a set of lowering springs in it. They dont look right with the 10 holes. Either get stock springs or a set of 17 inch cobras. Both ways look great. The picture capriman86 put up looks very nice, although its the wrong red. I never liked capris more than I do know. Coincidence? Bob, you really cant make any wrong decisions with this car.

Capriman86
06-10-2010, 12:18 AM
The picture capriman86 put up looks very nice, although its the wrong red.

Wrong Red? What do you mean Stan, they are both "Bright Red"

badass98svt
06-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Very nice Bob, I wanna see!!!

86ASCcoupe20
06-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Thery are different reds. I know wat you mean but Bobs is more like canyon red without the metallic.

Capriman86
06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Thery are different reds. I know wat you mean but Bobs is more like canyon red without the metallic.

There are only 2 reds for 85 and 86:
- Bright Red
- Medium Canyon Red Metallic

Both of them are Bright Red ;)

The92Foxbody
06-10-2010, 05:13 PM

I think Bobs paint needs a little bit of work for it to go back to its original "Bright Red"

86ASCcoupe20
06-10-2010, 10:00 PM
There are only 2 reds for 85 and 86:
- Bright Red
- Medium Canyon Red Metallic

Both of them are Bright Red ;)

Wow. I meant to check that at work today but forgot. John posted a pic of his car today in new members and from the back it looks just like Bobs new car. The pic that you posted looks more redder. I am so confused. If Bobs is supposed to look that much brighter then its really faded. I didnt thing it was that faded. Bob,let me know if you want to give it a quickee. Most body shops dont want to do overalls but i have a friend that could paint it on the side for you.

Chet-b
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
What ever red it is.. Its a capri ......and thats what counts for me.... lol

86ASCcoupe20
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Everything is black and white for you. lol. Nice. It is nice that we have another capri to watch being cleaned up and improved. .

Capriman86
06-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Wow. I meant to check that at work today but forgot. John posted a pic of his car today in new members and from the back it looks just like Bobs new car. The pic that you posted looks more redder. I am so confused. If Bobs is supposed to look that much brighter then its really faded. I didnt thing it was that faded. Bob,let me know if you want to give it a quickee. Most body shops dont want to do overalls but i have a friend that could paint it on the side for you.

My camera MIGHT have been set to Vibrant Mode that day, I don't remember, that could be why it looks so blood red.

86ASCcoupe20
06-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, you do see what i mean. anyways I like it in blood red. Looks like the red on Kens Mustang.

Chet-b
06-11-2010, 11:36 PM
i prefer black and white....:thumbsup: but hey thats just ME....

SmokinStang
07-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Haven't done much with the Capri, except for check it over, as well as using it to teach my son how to drive stick at this point. He might as well learn on the car he will be driving. Even in the Capri's preset form it is still great to look over.......the crisp straight lines over the from wheels are interesting to me, as well the flared out rear quarters.

The car has a real nice solid feel, with a dream of a drive train, with exceptional shifts. It's interesting to be back playing with a carburated car also......once squirt of gas to the floor, lift, turn the key, VROOMM!!

I am trying to get my hands on a McClaren spoiler at this point though.

Chet-b
07-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear that the hobby is being past on to future generations......He is one lucky kid..Good luck w/ finding a spoiler.

SmokinStang
08-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Good luck w/ finding a spoiler.

I really, really.....got to get my hands on one!!

SmokinStang
08-29-2010, 09:28 PM
I was doing some research on the 85 Capri, and stumbled upon this on autoblog.com:

eBay Find of the Day: 1986 Mercury Capri RS 5.0L with just 2,000 miles! Posted June 25th, 2010
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/25/ebay-find-of-the-day-1986-mercury-capri-rs-5-0l-just-2-000-mil/

Here's what they wrote:

With the Mercury (http://www.autoblog.com/make/mercury/) brand set to be confined to the dustbin of history in the next few months, is it worth considering investing in a classic example? We're certainly not going tell you how to spend your money, but today's eBay find might be worthy of consideration. Or not.

Over the course of three decades, the soon-to-be-defunct brand offered three distinctly different versions of the Capri. The original was a compact rear-wheel-drive coupe designed and built in Germany while the last was a Mazda (http://www.autoblog.com/make/mazda/) 323-based convertible from Australia.

The second generation example being offered for sale is likely the cleanest, lowest mileage Fox-body car remaining on the planet. Why someone would preserve a 1986 Capri RS 5.0 with only 2,000 miles is a bit of a mystery, but there it is nonetheless. The RS was a mildly restyled version of the Mustang GT (http://www.autoblog.com/model/mustang) and arguably more attractive than the Ford. 1986 was both the first year for the new 200 horsepower fuel-injected 5.0-liter V8 and the last year of production for the Fox-body Capri.

When the Mustang got a refresh for 1987, the Capri was left on the cutting room floor.

QUESTIONS for the Four Eyed Guys............FACT -or- Fiction?

The Mercury Capri RS was discontinued in 1985?

I further found / stumbled upon this in my quest for the official answer on Hemmings.com:
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/02/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

Here's what they said:

When the Mustang's 5.0L V-8 returned for 1982 after a two-year absence, it also showed up on the Capri's option sheet, and gained power yearly, paralleling the pony. By 1985, the Capri RS had become the 5.0 variant, featuring a big airdam and driving lamps, 15 x 7-inch aluminum wheels and dark gray semi-sheen finish on the lower body, regardless of upper body color. But for some reason, mid-year, the RS designation just vanished, leaving simply "Capri 5.0L" as the performance model's name. This made the '85-only RS belt-molding callouts fairly rare, but did little else to change the package.
So for 1986, Capri was left with only GS and 5.0L variations, the latter again gaining the same performance enhancements as the Mustang, with an EFI-fed 200hp. It would be easy to mark this as the best Fox Capri made, though Capri fans no doubt lament what might have been if the model had seen the same sort of revamp enjoyed by Mustang for 1987.

Based on what I'm reading it seems safe to conclude that for my instance.......I have an 85 RS, badged as a 5.0L?!?!?!?!?!

SmokinStang
08-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I have discovered that there isn't a ton of VIN Decoders available for this year, make, model.

If anyone has access to an "OFFICIAL / ACCURATE" Vin decoder means please let me know. There are several Mustang GT ones (such as MustangGT.org), which caters to 86-93 years, but it doesn't pertain to the Capri's. The Capri vins start with 1MEBP, an the Mustangs 1FABP. There are some sites that have a partial listing of what each value represents.....but I have found on that is complete for the full 17-digits, and/or one that has all the data available in on convienant post, thread, website, etc....

For Capri - 1MEBP Denotes:
1 = USA
M = Mercury
E = Merc Passenger
B = Active Seat Belts (Maunual)
P = Ford Passenger

For Mustang - 1FABP Denotes:
1 = USA
F Ford Moter Company (FoMoCo)
A = Ford Passenger Car
B = Active Seat Belts (Manual)
P = Air Bag with Active Belts (Front)

NOTE: These are basically Univeral for these years at the front of all VIN's for that time period.

Here's my 1985 Capri's VIN is: 1MEBP79M9FF608834

I'm looking for the info beyond listed above.
1 = USA
M = Mercury
E = Merc Passenger
P = Ford Passenger
7 =
9 =
M =
9 = Check Code
F =
F =
6 = \
0 = \\
8 = \\\ = Production #/ Mine is #8,834 of the Capri line. CAPRI's started Production #'s at #600001
8 = ///
3 = //
4 = /

Out of 18,654 Mercury Capri's (Produced for 1985).........4,869 1985 Capi's had the 302 V-8 Engine (Accounting for 26%), as well as 3,283 Capri's had 5-Speed Manual Transmissions (Acounting for almost 18%) in the 1985 model year.

Dorr tag shows:
Date: 01/85 - January 1985
Exterior Paint Code: XP
Interior Trim: PA
Body: 61D

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/PULNGZ/SS%20Info%20Area/Bobs85CapriInfo_Datapics001.jpg

Any feedback would be well received!! I'd really like to find out what CAM is in this, as well as rear end from the factory. Thanks in advance!!

86ASCcoupe20
08-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Bob, you really need to join and check out foureyedpride.com. When you got to forums, look for production numbers and data. There is a gentlemen on their with the nickname foxchassis. he knows everthing about Capris. He could decode that vin for you if you post it. The guys on that site are awesome and they love Capris and any other 79-86 Mustangs. Actually many of them have later model stangs, too.

SmokinStang
01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Well the New Year has arrived, the date 1/1/11 has passed.......and several talks over the past couple of months with my son regarding if the Capri is the car of choice for him, and the results are in. He is opting out, and is hoping to get into something newer, and something better for All-Season use.

At least he learned how to drive stick shift on it, and has the memories. Also there will always be the fact, that his first car.....the one he learned how to drive stick on....was that 85 Red Capri 5.0!!

He did polish of the clutch in the process, so that needed to be & has been replaced.

Well time will tell..........considerations abound!!:doh:
- I have always loved these in Widebody (Motorcraft, Dominator, Firestone HPR, Roush - ProtoFab, Motorcraft Dominator, ) Versions

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d61f6787a4&view=att&th=12d48e484924f851&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gigj03500&zw

- Stock is intriguing to me........and modding is as well [(Bad/Classic dilemma) - Future value of these is uncertain / Modding - You get what you want & what you like)
- Would love a Drag car, as a current owner of all convertible Mustangs - A Hardtop / coupe variant is a step in the right direction (even though I always wanted to do up a SN-95 body style....like a 1998 Mustang for this)
- Engine needs alot more gusto for my needs as it currently stands (This is for certain & a no brainner for me, and is clear)
- The 85 Capris - Crisp, Clean, Defined lines are unique and desirable to me......perhaps why I like the widebody look so much.....as it enhances and naturally brings them out. Widebody doesn't work on most cars, but IMO it does on a Capri for this reason alone.

only5.0s
01-03-2011, 09:22 AM
If it were my car I would turn it into a drag car. I am itching to get a Fox drag car that I can beat the hell out of and not worry about it.

Here is what I would do:

Build a 408 Windsor-no EFI-Carb
Put in a C4 auto with a trans brake
Throw in some 410 gears
Throw a cage in it
Spend a few bucks on the suspension
Beat the hell out of it and when you get bored throw on a 200 shot

As soon as that money tree in my back yard grows back I am doing something like that...:thumbsup:

Oh and of course you can put SmokinStangs.com as the prime sponsor....:clap:

Capriman86
01-03-2011, 10:48 PM
All I know is you need to keep it. These are so hard to find in good shape nowadays and it's in good hands. Nothing wrong with sprucing up the motor ;)

TorchRedSVT
01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
please don't hack that car up in any way shape or form. Don't make it a drag car, don't make it an over the top show car.

if you have the mod bug that badly...sell it and buy another project. Those car's are really hard to find in that type of shape.........it'sa survivor car

ToplessPony94
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
please don't hack that car up in any way shape or form. Don't make it a drag car, don't make it an over the top show car.

if you have the mod bug that badly...sell it and buy another project. Those car's are really hard to find in that type of shape.........it'sa survivor car

:goodpost: :+1: for SURE! These things are too rare to butcher it.

86ASCcoupe20
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Leave the block alone. Gt40 heads and intake. E303 cam, Southern NH Undercar exhaust system and put some 17s on it. It already sits nice just needs some nice wheels. Early 4 lug Saleens or 5 lug it and put on Bullits.
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab309/85silverttopgt/85capri.jpg

SmokinStang
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Whos Capri is that????? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Through sniffing around the web, this caught my eye:
http://i.ebayimg.com/08/%21B5T4F3QBWk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21jEEyd%29U3by%28BMtJP nuDDg%7E%7E_35.JPG

Interesting how the 1979-1982 had the flat hatchback........then came the "Bubble" hatch for the remaining years.

SPEAKING of the "Bubble:

Micheal Washington of NYC discovered a benefit of the Bubble.
http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605578+w750+st0/m5lp_0303_02_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+saleen_wing.jpg (http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605578/m5lp_0303_02_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+saleen_wing.jpg)

Through much testing, Michael discovered his Saleen wing on the 87 GT was costing him 1 mph, so he removed it for a couple races.
But he didn't like the wingless look, so he added a Capri bubble hatch. He fitted the hatch to his car, earning the nickname Bubble Boy in the process

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605581+w750+st0/m5lp_0303_01_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+sponcers_supporters_help_friends.jpg (http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605581/m5lp_0303_01_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+sponcers_supporters_help_friends.jpg)

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605587+w750+st0/m5lp_0303_03_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+rear_low_shot.jpg (http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605587/m5lp_0303_03_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+rear_low_shot.jpg)

IMO........I think it looks rather stylish.
I personally can't see how he gained One (1) MPH......as the Bubble hatch seems to be much heavier than the flat one?!?!?

Source: 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords / March_2003
Full Story: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0303_1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_champion/index.html

Capriman86
01-08-2011, 02:26 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Whos Capri is that????? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Through sniffing around the web, this caught my eye:
http://i.ebayimg.com/08/%21B5T4F3QBWk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21jEEyd%29U3by%28BMtJP nuDDg%7E%7E_35.JPG

Interesting how the 1979-1982 had the flat hatchback........then came the "Bubble" hatch for the remaining years.

That there is the M81 Mclaren Mustang, neat car indeed.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/mclaren_mustang_m81/

SPEAKING of the "Bubble:

Micheal Washington of NYC discovered a benefit of the Bubble.
http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605578+w750+st0/m5lp_0303_02_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+saleen_wing.jpg (http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605578/m5lp_0303_02_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+saleen_wing.jpg)

Through much testing, Michael discovered his Saleen wing on the 87 GT was costing him 1 mph, so he removed it for a couple races.
But he didn't like the wingless look, so he added a Capri bubble hatch. He fitted the hatch to his car, earning the nickname Bubble Boy in the process

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605581+w750+st0/m5lp_0303_01_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+sponcers_supporters_help_friends.jpg (http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605581/m5lp_0303_01_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+sponcers_supporters_help_friends.jpg)

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605587+w750+st0/m5lp_0303_03_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+rear_low_shot.jpg (http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/10605587/m5lp_0303_03_z+1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_cham pion+rear_low_shot.jpg)

IMO........I think it looks rather stylish.
I personally can't see how he gained One (1) MPH......as the Bubble hatch seems to be much heavier than the flat one?!?!?

Source: 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords / March_2003
Full Story: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0303_1987_ford_mustang_gt_nmra_race_champion/index.html

It is a true statement and I have seen it from a few sources due to the aerodynamic of the bubble glass.

Here is another one.
http://www.jbadominator.com/Photos

SmokinStang
01-08-2011, 08:56 AM
:goodpost:^^^^^^ Great two reference links!!^^^^^^:thumbsup:

That there is the M81 Mclaren Mustang, neat car indeed.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/a...n_mustang_m81/ (http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/mclaren_mustang_m81/)
Well that makes for interesting conversation:

It appears to be exactly:
1-Part Capri,
1-Part-Mustang,
1-Pat Mclaren

http://images15.fotki.com/v10/photos/4/43979/169664/napoli1-vi.jpg (http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/mclaren_mustang_m81/revell_mclaren_mustang.html#media)

http://images15.fotki.com/v10/photos/4/43979/169664/80mcclaren5-vi.jpg (http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/mclaren_mustang_m81/80mcclaren6.html#media)

Here is another one.
http://www.jbadominator.com/Photos

The JBA Dominator is "Off the Charts" Amazing!!

http://www.jbadominator.com/Content/Layout/Images/header/1.jpg

(http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/mclaren_mustang_m81/80mcclaren6.html#media)

86ASCcoupe20
01-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I found that Capri with the Saleen wheels on foureyedpride.com while looking for a red one with bullitts. I cant find a pic to post but his handle is URNEXT.

Capriman86
04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey Bob,

A friend over at foureyedpride (foxchassis) saw your post here and sent me back this info for you.

Jeff

VIN
1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA
B = manual seatbelts
P = passenger car
79 = Capri 3-dr hatchback
M = 5.0L engine
9 = VIN check digit
F = 1985 model year
F = Dearborn Assembly
608834 = consecutive unit number

VC Label
Date - 01/85 = January 1985 scheduled build
Exterior Paint Colors - 2R XP = Bright Red w/ Dark Charcoal lower bodyside accent
DSO - 11 = Boston district sales office
Body - 61D = Capri 3-dr hatchback
Interior Trim - PA = cloth Functional Sport seating, Charcoal interior color
A/C - 2 = exterior decal/stripe color code for "2R" exterior and "A" interior
R - 4 = A M/FM stereo radio
Ax - M = 2.73:1 w/ Traction-Lok
Tr - 2 = t-5 transmission
BB = E5SZ-5310-T front springs
BB = E5SZ-5560-B rear springs

I have discovered that there isn't a ton of VIN Decoders available for this year, make, model.

If anyone has access to an "OFFICIAL / ACCURATE" Vin decoder means please let me know. There are several Mustang GT ones (such as MustangGT.org), which caters to 86-93 years, but it doesn't pertain to the Capri's. The Capri vins start with 1MEBP, an the Mustangs 1FABP. There are some sites that have a partial listing of what each value represents.....but I have found on that is complete for the full 17-digits, and/or one that has all the data available in on convienant post, thread, website, etc....

For Capri - 1MEBP Denotes:
1 = USA
M = Mercury
E = Merc Passenger
P = Ford Passenger

For Mustang - 1FABP Denotes:
1 = USA
F Ford Moter Company (FoMoCo)
A = Ford Passenger Car
B = Active Seat Belts (Manual)
P = Air Bag with Active Belts (Front)

NOTE: These are basically Univeral for these years at the front of all VIN's for that time period.

Here's my 1985 Capri's VIN is: 1MEBP79M9FF608834

I'm looking for the info beyond listed above.
1 = USA
M = Mercury
E = Merc Passenger
P = Ford Passenger
7 =
9 =
M =
9 = Check Code
F =
F =
6 = \
0 = \\
8 = \\\ = Production #/ Mine is #8,834 of the Capri line. CAPRI's started Production #'s at #600001
8 = ///
3 = //
4 = /

Out of 18,654 Mercury Capri's (Produced for 1985).........4,869 1985 Capi's had the 302 V-8 Engine (Accounting for 26%), as well as 3,283 Capri's had 5-Speed Manual Transmissions (Acounting for almost 18%) in the 1985 model year.

Dorr tag shows:
Date: 01/85 - January 1985
Exterior Paint Code: XP
Interior Trim: PA
Body: 61D

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/PULNGZ/SS%20Info%20Area/Bobs85CapriInfo_Datapics001.jpg

Any feedback would be well received!! I'd really like to find out what CAM is in this, as well as rear end from the factory. Thanks in advance!!

jpnoel
04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I say you keep it bone stock and focus on making it totally mint....